• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Mealworms

Mellie24

Hatchling Dragon
I'm looking at getting a small supply of mealworms for Spike, what's the best way to keep them?
I also understand that these are a treat only, so how often are these treats allowed?
Thanks

sean8172

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Personally, I keep mealworms in the container, with the oat mix, in the "cheese" compartment in the fridge. You want to make sure they are refrigerated, or you'll have beetles. I would say feed your dragon no more than two or three, twice a week.

Mellie24

Hatchling Dragon
Thanks very much, spike hates crickets and won't eat them at all and I think he needs something else other the roaches now and again
How long do they keep in the fridge?

sean8172

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
It will vary, but mine usually last a couple weeks (if I don't feed my dragons too many). You'll know if they aren't alive. Aside from being motionless, they turn black, and get really hard. You might also want to consider silkworms. They have higher nutritional value, and can be used as a staple feeder more so than other worms.

sean8172

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I would say it would be quite extensive, and most likely PITA to ship something from Australia to where I am. It was an idea though. ;)

kelela

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi guys..im hoping im in the right section I just ordered Phoenix worms and my baby atm isnt taking to Mealworms..but likes his crickets..he started eating them a lil 1 or 2 but now he doesnt even put effort into it..should i let him chase them..maybe he wants them freely moving rather than dish.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
@ Kelela
Welcome2.jpg

Be sure that your enclosure is not cluttered with unnecessary junk that will provide hiding spots for the feeders & make the hunt difficult, then let the crix run free in the enclosure & let your BD hunt, chase & catch them on it's own.

Ozzie&Dino

Juvenile Dragon
I keep mealworms in the refrig one week and then out one week so they do not turn into beetles and when they are out of the refrig I gutload them with sweet potato and carrots and sometimes a slice of apple or orange but I haven't ever fed them to my Beardies and I have been doing this for atleast 6 months LOL....Mine have grown bigger and I plan to just feed them to my Gecko when he comes home. I do the same ( except no refrigeration) with my superworms and I have had them even longer and they are constantly shedding and I never loose any of them either.

Latest posts