• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Mealworms wiggling out of lid

BeardieBaby

Juvenile Dragon
I started to feed my beardie a couple meal worms a day and I'd come home from work and my beardie ate them up...or so I thought. Today I put 2 in a lid and they both wiggled out and when I cleaned my beardie's tank today I found 5 under the tile....I have seen my beardie eat them, but he won't eat them out of my hand, so does anyone know what I can do to prevent them from wiggling out of the lid? I keep them refrigerated until I put them in his tank as well.

spazz

Hatchling Dragon
I put some in a small Tupperware container tonight and Max just walked around it trying to eat the mealworms, so I put duct tape around the outside and he jumped right in and ate up!

image.jpg

spazz

Hatchling Dragon
I wanted to add that I just stopped buy a new pet store here, and they had these little bowls for $2. They have a curved rim to keep mealworms and supers from escaping. I haven't tried it yet, but I will in a couple of days. I'll let you know howthat goes.

image.jpg

spazz

Hatchling Dragon
I must buy some smart worms because mine climb out of that. LOL!

That is a good point. the one I bought is very small, and superworms or large mealworms might be able to escape it, however there is a larger one that is considerably deeper, and that would probably be better for the bigger worms and larger dragons. My Max is still a baby, so I buy him very small mealworms.

BeardieBaby

Juvenile Dragon
OMG that is awesome!!! I have never seen that around my area...do you suggest any websites that may sell that? Thanks so much for sharing that with me!

BeardieBaby

Juvenile Dragon
Just wanted to thank you again for showing me that meal worm dish, just found it on amazon.com and ordered it now!! SO excited to get it and may I get suggestions on how to get my Beardie to pay attention to the bowl once I put it in his tank so he notices the meal worms?

Mungi's Buddha

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
You could also use any glazed ceramic bowl or glass bowl such as a ramekin bowl or custard dish like can be found at Walmart, Dollar Tree,etc. The key thing is that you want the inside surface to not have "tooth" or in other words that is slick which will make it hard for the mealworms, superworms,etc to climb. Steep sides help too:)

Enjoy!

spazz

Hatchling Dragon
Just wanted to thank you again for showing me that meal worm dish, just found it on amazon.com and ordered it now!! SO excited to get it and may I get suggestions on how to get my Beardie to pay attention to the bowl once I put it in his tank so he notices the meal worms?

He will investigate it eventually and figure it out himself. Took Max about 5 minutes! Good luck!

Latest posts