• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

mbd

help my bd?

• ?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

swimmergirl

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
:)hi im new and my bd has mbd in his back legs :'(and drags himself around any tips on helping him?

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Is this vet diagnosed? Different things can cause paralysis of hind limbs.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hello, Swimmergirl and welcome to the forum. Sorry that you had to join with this sad news.

If I am understanding correctly, your herp vet diagnosed you beardie with MBD. Did he rate how far along or how bad it is? Also, how old is your beardie?

Unfortunately, when a beardie gets MBD, the majority of the ailments cannot be corrected. However, adding these provisions will help prevent further deterioration. Start with ensuring your bearded dragon receives 12-14 hours of good UVB light a day. Good quantifies a REptiSun 10.0 UV tube bulb or a megaray. The other place to expose your bearded dragon to UVB light is with direct sunlight. Bearded dragons can venture outdoors when the weather reaches 85F. Make sure he is not in a glass enclosure and is protected from prey. A screen cage works well for outdoors.

Calcium with D3 supplements should be added to your bearded dragon’s diet at least twice a week.

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
with a dragon that has MBD what is best to do is use a high end MVB for the UV light. The TREX is the light that i suggest. And use a Liquid Calcium Supplement as this is absorbed much faster. Unfortunately the full effects of MBD can not be reversed but you can stop it in its tracks and possibly aide your dragon in regaining use of its back legs. How old is your dragon? I ask because i would be interested to know if this is a genetic problem (IE adenovirus or some other inherited calcium defficiency) or if this was due to care issues from yourself or a previous owner.

swimmergirl

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
yes have heard of trex light i have the right lamp and he is 1and a half years old my dad got him for my birthday and we did not know how to take care of him we fed him mealworms! :'(

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Well you are in the right place now !
Feel free to ask questions, and do plenty of research !
Janie :)

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Water therapy also helps with the joint and muscle repair.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Please keep us updated on how your bearded dragon is doing.

Here is a list of basic care instructions for bearded dragons. Give it a read and let us know if you have any questions. It may seem overwhelming, but once you get the basics down, these are simple guys to take care of:

Bearded Dragon Care

swimmergirl

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
thank you all . ive my bd butter worms and superworms and now wont go to the bathroom

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
you can never fully revers the effects of MBD but you can fix the problem and keep it from getting worse. with appropriate calcium supplementation and high quality UV light and a strong diet you can have a beardie that had MBD recover and have a long life. Its going to boil down to how much work you are willing to put into it. If you dont have the time and ability to care for a animal with such a severe life changing problem it is not a bad thing to give it to a rescue. I am not saying anything bad about you by suggesting that. I am merely stating that it is a very serious investment of time, money, and heart to nurse a sick exotic.

Latest posts