• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

!!MBD EMERGENCY!!

ilikepickles:)

Bearded Dragon Egg
I need help fast and urgently! I've noticed that Spicy, my juvenile bearded dragon has been having muscle spasms all over, and that's a sign of a calcium deficiency. I have been sprinkling his BSFL with Calcium D3, but I'm probably doing that in too little amounts. I need tips to help him stop with this, and I've been putting a lot more calcium on his food, but it seems like he doesn't want to eat it. I also leave little spots of calcium dust on his carpet for him to lick up, but that isn't working either. I need a substance high in calcium, which can be a plant or bug, and worm.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I need help fast and urgently! I've noticed that Spicy, my juvenile bearded dragon has been having muscle spasms all over, and that's a sign of a calcium deficiency. I have been sprinkling his BSFL with Calcium D3, but I'm probably doing that in too little amounts. I need tips to help him stop with this, and I've been putting a lot more calcium on his food, but it seems like he doesn't want to eat it. I also leave little spots of calcium dust on his carpet for him to lick up, but that isn't working either. I need a substance high in calcium, which can be a plant or bug, and worm.
What are you using for a UVB ---- if your using a coil that is the problem--- good UVB's NO coils will help the calcium get absorbed / synthesized in the dragon ---- I recommend you get the UVB changed out ASAP to a long tube fixture like a Zoo Med 24" for a 40+ gallon tank w/ a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 --- my go to places are out so you will haft to get it off of Amazon ---- the fixture comes w/ a 5.0 bulb hang on to that it can be used as a back up BUT distance and placement is different from the bulb that also comes w/ it -- change it out to the 10.0 bulb and place the fixture in the tank approx 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor piece --- this bulb will need to be changed out in one year I recommend a month prior to --- your dragon has not been getting the calcium absorbed w/a coil UVB ---- you do not need to dust the BSFL they are full of calcium -- that is not the issue its the UVB that is the issue here are some things to get it in the tank and hang w/ 3 M command Velcro fasteners- picture hanging wire – long plastic zip ties-- fishing line -- potted plant wire hangers --- or this stuff I use it on my Zoo Med fixtures and it works great wrap around the fixture its like a Velcro strap cut in to strips https://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-15-ft-Cable-Ties-Hook-and-Loop-Spool-Black-10375/304220195
If you need anymore help please ask but get this done ASAP please

Bearded Dragon Egg
What are you using for a UVB ---- if your using a coil that is the problem--- good UVB's NO coils will help the calcium get absorbed / synthesized in the dragon ---- I recommend you get the UVB changed out ASAP to a long tube fixture like a Zoo Med 24" for a 40+ gallon tank w/ a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 --- my go to places are out so you will haft to get it off of Amazon ---- the fixture comes w/ a 5.0 bulb hang on to that it can be used as a back up BUT distance and placement is different from the bulb that also comes w/ it -- change it out to the 10.0 bulb and place the fixture in the tank approx 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor piece --- this bulb will need to be changed out in one year I recommend a month prior to --- your dragon has not been getting the calcium absorbed w/a coil UVB ---- you do not need to dust the BSFL they are full of calcium -- that is not the issue its the UVB that is the issue here are some things to get it in the tank and hang w/ 3 M command Velcro fasteners- picture hanging wire – long plastic zip ties-- fishing line -- potted plant wire hangers --- or this stuff I use it on my Zoo Med fixtures and it works great wrap around the fixture its like a Velcro strap cut in to strips https://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-15-ft-Cable-Ties-Hook-and-Loop-Spool-Black-10375/304220195
If you need anymore help please ask but get this done ASAP please
https://www.amazon.com/Reptile-Bear...619874656&sprefix=uvb+heating,aps,167&sr=8-46 I use this as my UVB source.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I would say its not doing its job--- please replace w/ what I posted --- most of those do not do what they need to do and it looks like something I have not seen before ---- you dont want cheap clones they do not work --- if you want to stay w/ a MVB go w a Power Sun or Mega Ray and even then your probably going to haft to get a extra UVB like what I posted --- depending on the distance you haft to get for basking temps etc the UVB portion ends up being not enough and you haft to supplement it --- please get a new UVB like I posted ASAP - he sounds like hes developing MBD and the longer he goes w/ out proper UVB the worse hes gonna get --

Nero

Juvenile Dragon
Beardie Club
The amounts you give might be good, but UVB is what makes the calcium digest properly. Tube UVB lights are very helpful, you can find them in most pet stores.

Bearded Dragon Egg
I would say its not doing its job--- please replace w/ what I posted --- most of those do not do what they need to do and it looks like something I have not seen before ---- you dont want cheap clones they do not work --- if you want to stay w/ a MVB go w a Power Sun or Mega Ray and even then your probably going to haft to get a extra UVB like what I posted --- depending on the distance you haft to get for basking temps etc the UVB portion ends up being not enough and you haft to supplement it --- please get a new UVB like I posted ASAP - he sounds like hes developing MBD and the longer he goes w/ out proper UVB the worse hes gonna get --
I don't exactly have the money right now, but I gotta do what I gotta do.

Nero

Juvenile Dragon
Beardie Club
Well in that case, save up and take your beardie out to sun bathe frequently to subsitute for the coil. And turn off the coil because its damaging.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Well in that case, save up and take your beardie out to sun bathe frequently to subsitute for the coil. And turn off the coil because its damaging.
I agree 15 minutes direct sunlight will equal out to about 4 hrs- watch him do not leave him alone-- have him sit on you or use a plastic tote NO GLASS- 15 minutes tops in that place in direct/ shade sunlight- you do not want to burn him up -- do this everyday or every other

Bearded Dragon Egg
I don't have a coil. The link I sent was the light I have in my enclosure.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Absolutely not!!! Those are the worst!! And that is a coil! You can go w/ a mega Ray or power Sun mvb-- that is one bulb that provides the UVB/ basking- but you will eventually need to.provide another uvb at some point- these two bulbs are the better ones on the market- but fir the price of these you can afford to get the 24" fixture from www.petmountain.com but as of now they are out of stock- let me know what you want to do and I will help you

Jemani

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi. I joined this forum Only a moment ago & saw your post. I put a pinch of calcium powder in the crickets’ bucket. Just before Serving them to Cheeto, i shake the bucket to dust the crickets with the powder. He still sees them and it does not change his interest in them.

Beardomania

Juvenile Dragon

Meama123

Bearded Dragon Egg
I agree 15 minutes direct sunlight will equal out to about 4 hrs- watch him do not leave him alone-- have him sit on you or use a plastic tote NO GLASS- 15 minutes tops in that place in direct/ shade sunlight- you do not want to burn him up -- do this everyday or every other
I don't exactly have the money right now, but I gotta do what I gotta do.
Also if you are feeding alot of spinach or broccoli or other calcium BINDING GREENSthey draw what calcium your putting in out. Dubia roaches are awesome high in calcium and my beardy loves them

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi. I joined this forum Only a moment ago & saw your post. I put a pinch of calcium powder in the crickets’ bucket. Just before Serving them to Cheeto, i shake the bucket to dust the crickets with the powder. He still sees them and it does not change his interest in them.
I do that too, but I'm worried I have the wrong bulb that prevents him from naturally consuming his calcium.
@Sadie, I bought a mega-ray MVB bulb, it was a little more on the expensive side, but I think it's gonna be worth it.
I will post a Spicy MBD update in a week, to see if he stops twitching. So far so good.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I do that too, but I'm worried I have the wrong bulb that prevents him from naturally consuming his calcium.
@Sadie, I bought a mega-ray MVB bulb, it was a little more on the expensive side, but I think it's gonna be worth it.
I will post a Spicy MBD update in a week, to see if he stops twitching. So far so good.
What wattage did you get -- they need to be certain distances for them--- you may end up buying another long tube UVB to make up for the UVB --

Latest posts