• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Max won't touch his green!

spazz

Hatchling Dragon
I wasn't sure if this was a question for diet or health as it kinda touches on both. He is eating good. In fact he is shedding again, but he will not touch his greens. I have offered collards, dandelion, turnip, and steamed brussels sprouts. I got him to lick at some of the dandelions, but not eat them. How long can he go without eating them before it becomes a problem?

I dust all his live food, and give vitamins once a week, but I am worried about him not eating greens.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Some young BDs will not take to their greens for months & this is not a cause for concern, providing that they are kept hydrated by their live prey, regular mistings & warm soaks, all of which should be part of good regular husbandry practices.

You should still provide a small fresh daily supply of greens, whether it eats them or not, so it is available to them when they do make the choice to test them out. You could try feeding the greens in the morning & not feed prey until into the afternoon, this will often help.

spazz

Hatchling Dragon
That is exactly what I have been doing, only I have been doing live prey one day, then greens in the morning and live prey in the evenings the next. I am glad he is in no immediate peril. That's a load off.

ianedward1

Hatchling Dragon
Most young dragons (and reptiles in general from my experience; I'm probably just unlucky :p) will be picky as they are young. Just keep the greens there at all times and eventually they will get to the point where they will eat them. Also, make sure that you are offering the proper greens as well. Getting your dragon hooked on the wrong kind can cause a whole different level of problems (it took forever to break my tortoise of his preference for unhealthy greens).

Latest posts