• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Male and Female Dragon Living Together?

Squish

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Hello again guys,
I've wondered about this for a while now. Have any of you had experience housing a male and female dragon together as a permanent situation? I've just about finished building Fernando's permanent enclosure, and it's huge! It's 4'x2'x2', and way bigger than I pictured it would be planning the build. I've hoped to get a female dragon as well some day, but I figure if they can both hangout in the same giant enclosure that'd be way more convenient. Any experience with this working for you guys or methods on how I'd go about it? Also, would reproduction be a constant thing? Thanks!

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hello again guys,
I've wondered about this for a while now. Have any of you had experience housing a male and female dragon together as a permanent situation? I've just about finished building Fernando's permanent enclosure, and it's huge! It's 4'x2'x2', and way bigger than I pictured it would be planning the build. I've hoped to get a female dragon as well some day, but I figure if they can both hangout in the same giant enclosure that'd be way more convenient. Any experience with this working for you guys or methods on how I'd go about it? Also, would reproduction be a constant thing? Thanks!
I would strongly advise NOT to house them together as once of age he will mate her to the point of exhaustion and in some cases to the point of death of the female... and if he doesn't mate her they are pretty territorial even if your housing is spacious, leading to nipped parts/limbs/tails and can even cause death..
So I wouldn't do this..

Squish

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
I would strongly advise NOT to house them together as once of age he will mate her to the point of exhaustion and in some cases to the point of death of the female... and if he doesn't mate her they are pretty territorial even if your housing is spacious, leading to nipped parts/limbs/tails and can even cause death..
So I wouldn't do this..

Oh my, alright I certainly wouldn't want anything bad to happen to either animal, so I won't be doing this. Thanks for the information.

Mom of blazey

Juvenile Dragon
Yes indeedy she is correct, that's how I wound up with 8 beardies, was told I had 2 females in the enclosure, found out the hard way, I had a boy and a girl, they did it once, oops! All of my females and males are housed separately. Now, 2 of my girls live together(biggie smalls & Nye Nye) they love each other they always hang out together, who knows maybe they live an "alternate " lifestyle. Anyway ...I wouldn't recommend 2 males either, that would get rough

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G850A using Tapatalk

Squish

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Yes indeedy she is correct, that's how I wound up with 8 beardies, was told I had 2 females in the enclosure, found out the hard way, I had a boy and a girl, they did it once, oops! All of my females and males are housed separately. Now, 2 of my girls live together(biggie smalls & Nye Nye) they love each other they always hang out together, who knows maybe they live an "alternate " lifestyle. Anyway ...I wouldn't recommend 2 males either, that would get rough

Thanks for your reply, yeah I definitely figured 2 males wouldn't work out together. I'm for sure interested in more beardies in the future, but I absolutely want to make sure I know what I'm doing. Looks like I'll have to wait a while because I certainly don't want any fights breaking out, and I do not have the resources right now to have unexpected babies. I'm glad you guys are here to share your knowledge! I can imagine 2 females could be good together if they group up together though. Do you have all your enclosures in a compact area, or just have enclosures around your house where they fit?

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Oh my, alright I certainly wouldn't want anything bad to happen to either animal, so I won't be doing this. Thanks for the information.
No problem that's what we are here for.. There have been some female and female housed together however these cases are rare and they are usually because they have bonded together during a bad housing situation so they need/want the companionship...but like I said it's rare but it has worked in a few situations. but even then you have to keep an eye on them as it can change in a split second.
Most that have multiple viv's use metal shelving I know home depot and lowes have them and they stack the viv's that way it doesn't take up too much space.. I know Patsy has 3 and they are stacked..Just make sure you have tile flooring in there tanks so they are not staring down or up at eachother lol
Also keep in mind if by chance you have an opps meeting of a male and female she can hold sperm a crazy long time like around a year!!! so even if you don't see any eggs right away doesn't mean the female wont all of a sudden decide nows the time.... And they can have 25-30 eggs!!! that's a ton of feeders!! and supplies!!

Last edited:

Squish

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
No problem that's what we are here for.. There have been some female and female housed together however these cases are rare and they are usually because they have bonded together during a bad housing situation so they need/want the companionship...but like I said it's rare but it has worked in a few situations. but even then you have to keep an eye on them as it can change in a split second.
Most that have multiple viv's use metal shelving I know home depot and lowes have them and they stack the viv's that way it doesn't take up too much space.. I know Patsy has 3 and they are stacked..Just make sure you have tile flooring in there tanks so they are not staring down or up at eachother lol
Also keep in mind if by chance you have an opps meeting of a male and female she can hold sperm a crazy long time like around a year!!! so even if you don't see any eggs right away doesn't mean the female wont all of a sudden decide nows the time.... And they can have 25-30 eggs!!! that's a ton of feeders!! and supplies!!

Wow, thank you for all the info. I'm definitely very interested in reptile and amphibian keeping in general, so knowing where to get good compact shelving is super helpful for later down the line. I hope to one day have an animal room, but we are in an apartment now, so it's not plausible yet haha. That is very interesting about the females with sperm! I did not know they could lay that many eggs holy moly! I wouldn't be ready for something like that without extensive setup. I have thought it'd be cool to breed Fernando one day as his colors are very nice, but he does have a high strung personality so I'm not sure he'd be the best for breeding. I would've expected they only lay a few eggs though. Always more to learn about our animal friends!

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Wow, thank you for all the info. I'm definitely very interested in reptile and amphibian keeping in general, so knowing where to get good compact shelving is super helpful for later down the line. I hope to one day have an animal room, but we are in an apartment now, so it's not plausible yet haha. That is very interesting about the females with sperm! I did not know they could lay that many eggs holy moly! I wouldn't be ready for something like that without extensive setup. I have thought it'd be cool to breed Fernando one day as his colors are very nice, but he does have a high strung personality so I'm not sure he'd be the best for breeding. I would've expected they only lay a few eggs though. Always more to learn about our animal friends!
We try very hard to fully make aware of any and all info that we can as I think many are not aware of what they are getting into when they want cute little babies.. lol It isn't something to just on a whim get into by any means all the supplies they need food, uvb, tanks, incubator, extra set ups in case clutchmates go after eachother which they do...

Mom of blazey

Juvenile Dragon
I have a beardie room with all of their enclosures, I suppose I'm the rarity bcuz I have 2 enclosures that house 2 females each, they've lived together for 6 yrs now. B4 I fixed up the room they're in now they were housed in my daughter's room and my room as hatchlings and were in 3 separate tanks, cost me a fortune bit it had to get done, they were counting on me, I knew hardly anything at that time, was kinda thrown into it, so I researched, researched, and thru that and a little trial and error. I've kept 8 beardies happy and healthy for 10 yrs.

Mom of blazey

Juvenile Dragon
I forgot to add that my girls were not in a bad housing situation, it just worked out well for me so I suppose I'm lucky, cheezy and Pemodonna are always together, while basking, while cooling off and most of the time while eating. I wonder if it's bcuz Pemodonna is blind in 1 eye, and cheezy has bad back leg? They were born that way. I watched all of them hatch and grow up, so I must be doing something right.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
And your right it does work sometimes and why it works sometimes and not other times who only knows.. So for a general rule we always go by how they are naturally and that is solitary.. And for those who are able to house together it is always best to have that extra enclosure all ready for that time for whatever reason they decide nope don't want to be together get away or I'm gonna eat/hurt/bite you.. ya know.
And it's typically the female/female combo I don't know of any male/male combo that has ever worked long term, hormones control that one.

Mom of blazey

Juvenile Dragon
Yep you are right never ever house 2 males together! I have 3 males and to watch them head Bob at each other is comical, none of them have a "full on" View of eachother but they can see enough of one another to know there's another male. The girls could care less, when they were younger they used to "dance" but they haven't done that for years.

Squish

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
It's great to hear all your experiences! Judging by his personality, I can not see Fernando being okay even around cages with other males. He's got quite the personality and is moody. Much moodier than I expected a beardie to be. @Mom of blazey I'm glad you were able to figure out a way to care for all the beardies you had on accident. That definitely sounds challenging. I'm for sure not ready for any breeding situations at this time. I think it would be nice to be able to home to females together, but I'd imagine they would both need pretty relaxed personalities, and I'm not going to get some to try it out. From what you guys have said, it sounds like you just get lucky when that happens, but should never plan for that to be your situation in the first place.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It's great to hear all your experiences! Judging by his personality, I can not see Fernando being okay even around cages with other males. He's got quite the personality and is moody. Much moodier than I expected a beardie to be. @Mom of blazey I'm glad you were able to figure out a way to care for all the beardies you had on accident. That definitely sounds challenging. I'm for sure not ready for any breeding situations at this time. I think it would be nice to be able to home to females together, but I'd imagine they would both need pretty relaxed personalities, and I'm not going to get some to try it out. From what you guys have said, it sounds like you just get lucky when that happens, but should never plan for that to be your situation in the first place.
Exactly..