• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Lost Beardie!

hey where's Perry

Bearded Dragon Egg
Last Thurs 2/19, I had Perry out. She is used to being out at least 4 times a week. Well she was sitting up by the bay window in our dining room and when I went to check on her, she was gone and we haven't been able to find her. She never has gone upstairs, but we tore apart the house main level and upstairs. Basement door is always closed, but we did check the basement.(Basement is very cold)

I've heard that they will come out of hiding when they get hungry, but Perry is not a big eater anymore and it seems like she could care less if we skipped feeding her for a day. (although we still feed her)

How long can she go just being MIA?----assuming she is not hurt. I'm crying, kids are crying, and even my husband is upset. She is a little over a year old and used to being handled, loud noised, kids fighting/yelling, dog barking. We r in Il so there is no possible way she would have snuck outside. It's freezing here.

Please let me know what I should do.

Mushuandcricket

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I am so sorry! Was the dining room door shut when you left her? Tonight I would turn off all the lights in the dining room since it is dark and leave a basking light on in the bay window were she can go to find heat and light.Hopefully she will want to warm up.

hey where's Perry

Bearded Dragon Egg
Its an open floorplan. But I will try to put out her basking light but if she doesn't come up out, how will she even know it's there? We have a large first level.

Canicke

Super Moderator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
They can fit into some pretty small places. Get a flashlight. Get on the floor. Look under absolutely everything. Bookcase? Look behind the books. Under the sofa. Under the pillows. Think like a lizard. The basking light is a great idea. Put some food near it for her. If she's cool she may go into brumation and not come out for a while. Work slowly and methodically not frantically. Just because you've looked somewhere once doesn't mean you shouldn't look there again. Prayers

Canicke

Super Moderator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Couple more thoughts – put heat lamp near the floor – If she got down that's where she may head. While you're looking for her look for body parts – tail leg head. You may not see all of her but you may see part of her

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Mine love to hide under furniture, under the couch, under anything where there are electrical wires, Dexter climbed up inside my recliner today! Check behind bookcases or cabinets, under the fridge and stove. I like the idea of offering a basking light maybe near where you saw her last. Are there any holes in the wall or vents she could get in?

Another thought, they do like to climb. Check eye level, books, bookshelves, kids toy shelves. Check a bit higher, do you have curtains on your windows? Maybe she climbed up.

hey where's Perry

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thank u everyone
I'm curious what's the longest anyone has had their beardy missing in action. We will cont to follow all the advice I have gotten so far

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Thank u everyone
I'm curious what's the longest anyone has had their beardy missing in action. We will cont to follow all the advice I have gotten so far

I haven't lost one for long. I lost Luci for about 15 minutes once. I found him in the dinning room nuzzled behind a a couple of framed pictures that we had leaning up against the wall.

What about under beds, have you check inside box springs? My cat used to like to do that.

Canicke

Super Moderator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
A few months after i got Toviah i had him in an outdoor play pen. i had covered it with screen so that birds could not get him. it didnt occur to me that he would climb out ! (he's missing the toes on his right hind foot - no grip there) Well - he got out. into the yard. i was devastated. looked behind planters and rocks, under bushes, into the bushes, out the driveway. then looked in all those places again. i finally gave him up to God for safekeeping. As i was going to my back door - he was at the end of the garden sitting there watching me. little s__t. i couldn't have squeezed him any tighter or held him for longer. i also know of a dragon who got under someones house. into one of the corners. they got him out by placing a heat lamp close to him, then moving the heat lamp closer to the access door. over a period of some time. we really do feel your anxiety.

cody

Hatchling Dragon
when I let mine out he likes to try and climb up into the gas heater that runs all along tha floor. There are some parts where he's able to get InTo it and I always watch real close

Mushuandcricket

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
A few months after i got Toviah i had him in an outdoor play pen. i had covered it with screen so that birds could not get him. it didnt occur to me that he would climb out ! (he's missing the toes on his right hind foot - no grip there) Well - he got out. into the yard. i was devastated. looked behind planters and rocks, under bushes, into the bushes, out the driveway. then looked in all those places again. i finally gave him up to God for safekeeping. As i was going to my back door - he was at the end of the garden sitting there watching me. little s__t. i couldn't have squeezed him any tighter or held him for longer. i also know of a dragon who got under someones house. into one of the corners. they got him out by placing a heat lamp close to him, then moving the heat lamp closer to the access door. over a period of some time. we really do feel your anxiety.

lol that is funny. Glad you found him.

hey where's Perry

Bearded Dragon Egg
MY HUSBAND FOUND PERRY!!!!!!
She was in the food pantry hiding in a box of hot chocolate. Cold and lethargic but soon perked up after warming up and soon wanting to get out of her cage again. I was at work when my husband texted me and I was so emotional I felt like iI was going to throw up even though it was good news
Thank you everyone for all your help and support.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
SO HAPPY FOR YOU! What a shock it must have been for your husband to reach in that box for hot chocolate and find a lizard LOL!

Latest posts