• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Lintilla is rarely eating... When should I get worried?

drzebra

Juvenile Dragon
Yeah, yeah. I know that there are a lot of baby dragon not eating threads, but I'm a worried dad anyway. We got her two weeks ago at 4 grams. She ate a few dubia (our littlest nymphs) the next morning, but has rarely eaten more than one or two at a go after that - if she eats at all. She's ignoring her greens, which I expect, but I offer those daily anyway.

I'm trying to get her to eat in a little cricket keeper, but I put her in and she immediately scrambles around trying to get out, ignoring all the delicious roaches waiting to be eaten. Or maybe she'll eat one and then start scrabbling at the walls.

She drinks VERY eagerly when misted, which I do once or twice a day.

She's in a little 17"x17"x"12" enclosure until she grows a bit (we have a 40 gallon breeder on hand for that). Her basking temp is 110-115. Her cool temps range from 78 to 83, all measured with the laser thermometer. Her substrate is newspaper. UVB is supplied by a little Reptisun 10.0 CFL. Yes, yes, CFL. But it's a little bitty enclosure and doesn't warrant more than that. Her heat bulb is just a plain ol' flood light on a dimmer.

Lethargic she is not, except during her frequent naps. I rarely find her in the same spot twice and she tends to divide her time between basking and sleeping in the little void between her half-log cave and her basking log that rests on top of it.

She poops regularly, but I have no idea where it's coming from. It looks like miniature versions of what comes out of my adult dragons, so that seems fine.

When does she start eating nonstop? She's still 4 grams so she's not losing weight, but still... Arthur was older than her when we got him, but he was still a baby and he still was a pig from the outset. Even Trillian, who was downright hostile to us at first, never missed a meal.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
If she's not losing weight and she's active, I think she's okay. She could still be settling if it's only been 2 weeks. Mine always hated being put into a feeder tank and concentrated more on getting out than eating. What if you put her dubia in a small feeder bowl in her tank? They say that 1 dubia equals like 5 crickets so it's possible she's eating just enough. 4 grams is little so she's got a tiny belly ;)

drzebra

Juvenile Dragon
I do leave dubia in a bowl in her tank. I've also watched her get in and out of the bowl, so I know that she's capable of it. I just don't know if she's sneaking them out occasionally or not.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
If she's pooping she's got to be eating something. Maybe she's just a shy eater.

Latest posts