• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Light Timers..?

Lou Lou15

Hatchling Dragon
Is a light timer necessary to have or just as long as they get at least 12 hours of UV time it's fine? Correct me if I'm wrong with the numbers and any extra information about this would be GREATLY appreciated!!

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Light timers are not necessary but a GODSEND! True that they need to be on a 12/12 light cycle (mine are actually on a 14/10 cycle) but it needs to be a consistent time. You want the lights to go on and off at the same time each day. Timers are helpful if you sleep in or you're not home to turn the lights off.

An inexpensive timer is just fine. I have multiple kinds. I have digital ones that I got from the hardware store or Amazon for about 12 bucks and I have the Zoomed analog ones that are a little more expensive. All work just fine although the analog one looses minutes over time and instead of the light going on at 6am it will go on at 6:08 now. I recommend getting an 8 socket timer. With those you get 4 outlets that are on the timer and 4 outlets that are always turned on so you have your 2 lights on a timer and then you have other outlets to plug in your phone charger or computer etc.

Lou Lou15

Hatchling Dragon
And specifically you 12/12 you mean 12 hours UV and 12 hours not UV right? And what are the times that you have your lights turn on and off just for example?

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Yes, 12 hours of UVB and basking light on and 12 hours off. My lights go on at 6am and off at 8pm. This way they get an hour of warm before I feed them before I have to leave for work and then we get some time to play when I get home from work.

Latest posts