• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Light Fixture

beardie_love

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Okay so I just got my Repti-Sun 10.0. I went to 2 hardware stores, and all of the single fluorescent light fixtures were expensive! Someone told me I could get one at Home Depot for about 10 bucks? (in the US). So, I assume that shouldn't be more than 20 bucks here in Canada. Instead, I found double light fixtures for about 20 bucks. My question is, can I mix the Repti-Sun bulb with just a regular fluorescent bulb?

egg 80

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
i dunno what the fittings for each of these bulbs are like over there but here in the uk both these bulbs have different fittings on the end of the tubes, but the fluorescent wouldnt be required as doesnt produce much heat and you already have a suitable light sorce have you looked at aquarium starter units for the uv tube this is what i use as long as you get a sarter unit powerful enough to switch on your size of tube youll be all good, just check they have the same fittings if you going for the other one
paul

Harley D

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
I live in Ontario and pay 39.99 per bulb..... :eek: but they are the best and only the best for my babies, I have considered buying off the internet but am scared of them breaking during shipping.

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yes you can ! Place the uvb in the back socket, the shop tube in the front... mount as needed so the tubes are 6-8" distance from the dragon.
Janie

beardie_love

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
egg 80 said:
i dunno what the fittings for each of these bulbs are like over there but here in the uk both these bulbs have different fittings on the end of the tubes, but the fluorescent wouldnt be required as doesnt produce much heat and you already have a suitable light sorce have you looked at aquarium starter units for the uv tube this is what i use as long as you get a sarter unit powerful enough to switch on your size of tube youll be all good, just check they have the same fittings if you going for the other one
paul

The only reason why I ask to mix with the regular fluorescent tube is because I need to fill out both sockets with bulbs.

zebraflavencs said:
Yes you can ! Place the uvb in the back socket, the shop tube in the front... mount as needed so the tubes are 6-8" distance from the dragon.
Janie

Good to hear! But, I thought the Repti-Sun can go up to a distance of 20" ? My dragons are roughly about 14" from the top of the tank (on their basking spot) .....

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
For a bearded dragon 20 inches would be too far away for proper uv penetration. I typically suggest 10-12 inches for the distance. Any further and the light wont be useful for him.

beardie_love

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Hmmm, I just need ideas to set it up. I'd make the basking spot higher, but my beardies are always jumping around on and off things. And I can't set the light lower, because I have this piece of plastic kind of dividing the tank. Any suggestions? Will a pic of my tank help out?

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
yeah a picture of your tank could help
it would be possible to suspend the light a little lower in the tank.

and yeah lifting your basking site up a bit would help too

what are the diminsions of your tank?

beardie_love

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
This is it:

Photo-0071.jpg

You can see that black part dividing the tank. It is part of the actual tank, not the screen top. And the dimensions of my tank is 48 x 18 x 18

Boogiesmom

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I have a similar set up but with one dragon. Because of the glass and I didn't want to spend to much as I am making a new viv, I went this route and it works. Bought a fixture at Walmart for 9 bucks, small bag of small nuts and bolts, black chain and heavy duty clamps at Home Depot. On top of the fixture are two slots. Split chain in to (2-2 foot lengths), at the bottom of chain put a tiny bolt and slide into the the slots, lower the fixture into the tank to the right height, the attach the chain to the clamps, clamp the clamps on to the glass.

Hope it helps.

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
same thing i was going to suggest. Just suspend the light into the tank. You will have to notch out the divider to allow for the single fixture you are using to be lowered but other than that should be simple.

beardie_love

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Thanks! I will give it a try. The only problem I might have is the bulb won't actually fit in the tank. The tank is 4' and the bulb is 4'.

As for purchasing the fixture, I guess I'm going to Wal-Mart! I bought one at Home Depot for $25 but it's a double.... and it's the wrong one anyway. And the singles there are $30+ !! I didn't have enough money lol :( . To Wal-Mart I go!

Boogiesmom

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
beardie_love said:
Thanks! I will give it a try. The only problem I might have is the bulb won't actually fit in the tank. The tank is 4' and the bulb is 4'.

As for purchasing the fixture, I guess I'm going to Wal-Mart! I bought one at Home Depot for $25 but it's a double.... and it's the wrong one anyway. And the singles there are $30+ !! I didn't have enough money lol :( . To Wal-Mart I go!

At Walmart they come with a bulb in them. Just take you light with you. They have ones that could be for under cabiniets and another one that is to put over plants to help them grow. I just took off there bulb and the cover and that is what I hung.

beardie_love

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Sounds good. Now it's just the matter of how I'm going to do this! The bulb is too long to fit inside my tank :(

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Not the doubles, Paul.. a single might.
b_l... try to raise a basking area with bricks or a single large decoration.
Janie

beardie_love

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Neither a double nor a single will fit. It's because the bulb is just too long for my tank, as my tank is 4' and the bulb is 4'. Plus the extra room the fixture will use.

As for the basking spot, I guess I'll just have to get creative to make a safe basking spot for my beardies.

egg 80

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
zebraflavencs said:
Not the doubles, Paul.. a single might.
b_l... try to raise a basking area with bricks or a single large decoration.
Janie
ahh i see i thought it was just a 4' tank with a 4' uv bulb with a partition in the middle, i read it wrong lol :-X
go with what janie said raise baskin spot with bricks or a nice peice of decorative wood i use sandstone rocks for my beardies to bask on great files down the claws also
paul

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
raise the floor of your enclosure. Bugs will be a pita, but it'll work for now.

Latest posts