• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Light and heating querie.

levold

Bearded Dragon Egg
So I'm building a melamine enclosure. It is 6ft x 2ft x 2ft
I have a 4 ft fluro tube fitting for the uvb.
Now, I would need a ceramic heater for night as it can get cold here especially in winter.
I also need a spotlight for the day?
How would I set it up with a thermostat? Or would I just use 2 timers that switch the CHE on when the spotlight goes off and spotlight on when CHE goes off?

atochats

Juvenile Dragon
A halogen floodlight works well as a basking light during the day. You will need two thermometers...one for the cool side and another for the basking area. Digital thermometer with probe place the probe directly on the basking area. Temp should be 100-110 F. I've seen these strip outlets they have two for daytime and two for nighttime. Apparently you set the daytime and when those outlets turn off it automatically turns on the nighttime ones. Never used one my nighttime temps don't get low enough to warrant a CHE.

levold

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thanks. Those strip outlets look nice, but they all have US plug fittings. Will need to see if any of my hardware stores sell AU Versions.

atochats

Juvenile Dragon
You could absolutely use two timers, like you mentioned, if they have the plug fittings you need. Just be sure to have thermometers like I said and get temps right before you bring your critter home. You may have to experiment with wattage and distance from basking area to get it right. We've all been through it lol.

levold

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ok. Another Q. I read some people say dont use wire cages on the heatglobes as the dragon can get caught in them. And some say do use them. I would be inclined use them but what so others do?

atochats

Juvenile Dragon
The wire cages you're referring to are to keep safe the dragon from burns if the bulb itself is within reach? Neither of my lights are within reach of my dragon so I can't really say. My tank has a mesh lid, and the basking light hangs above it. The UV strip is up too high inside her tank, no chance she can reach it either. Can you post a pic of your set up as it is now so we can see?

levold

Bearded Dragon Egg
uploadfromtaptalk1391896600929.jpg
its not done yet. But this is what I got at the moment. 4ft tube fitting. And these wire cages. I plan on using 2 ceramic es fittings one for 100w che for night and one for a light heat globe.

atochats

Juvenile Dragon
Been doin some thinking. ..ever installed recessed lights? Only being 2 feet in height doesn't leave much room for height adjustment of the basking light to obtain proper temp...so instead maybe rely on adjustment and/or replacement of basking furniture as well as wattage? If this may be the case anyway then cut holes it ceiling of structure to install recessed lighting housing units and cover the holes on the interior with a fine wire mesh. Will be a nice flat barrier between the bulb and your beardie, yet not very bulky as to cause so much damage as one of those heavy duty wire cages...should he come in contact with it. You can build an attachment for the exterior top side to hide the fixtures and wires? Just have to be SURE before you cut is all. One thing's for sure...he'll have PLENTY of floorspace which will make him sooo happy! :)

levold

Bearded Dragon Egg
uploadfromtaptalk1392067392816.jpg
well I put it together like this since the last pic. Will try it out with some different bulbs. A 100w che and 60w spotlight for starters.... can always cut a part out of the roof and do that wire thing if it doesnt work.

atochats

Juvenile Dragon
I'm curious if having just one basking light will keep a good daytime temp on the cool side of the tank.. (80-85F) since your tank is so wide. Keep us posted?

Latest posts