• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

left eye cut dragon help!!

lmcf005

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
hi i work as a landscaper and unfortunately my coworker hit a bearded dragon 2 days ago and cut its left eye out, i put it into the bush but came back 24 hours later and it was still sitting in the same place, so now i took it home and put it in a cleaned fish tank with sand and a rock and some crickets and water. its not eating, or really moving much havent got a light yet to keep it warm so keeping the kettle next to it with hot water in it till tomorow when i go to the shops to buy a light for warmth and a uv light. any advice of what i should do to the wound, and general health its pretty agressive when i touch it, would it do me any harm if it bit me? im worried its gona not eat hasnt eaten for 3 days now. never owned one before so all advice appreciated.

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Okay, a few things you will need to make sure are provided:
A proper UVB light.
A heat source from lights.
No substrate but paper towels.

Most dragons go through a time period called relocation stress, and if this is a wild dragon ( are you in Aus ?) you might want to find a local to you, folks that actually help out wild dragons, then rerelease them back into the wild.

If you are not in the Outback, then same goes for above.
You must allow the dragon to get used to you, with luck it has only been loose from past owners for a few days.

Get a needless syringe, and mix stage 1 or 2 baby food chix or squash with some good calcium powder, thinned down with some flavored pedialite. Warm that up, and using the syringe place a dot on the nose, away from the nostrils, and dragon should lick that up. Try to get atleast 3 small pea sized dots into the dragon if longer than 14". If less than 14" but more than 10", 2 dots. If smaller than that, 1 dot. Do this as many times a day as you can manage. Also, offering a nice warm bath 90-100*F with a wash cloth under the claws for stability, daily will help with dehydration.

Heat- you need to offer a warm basking spot. Again, for adults around 100-105*F babies need warmer such as 110-120*F. Place basking bulb ( house hold light bulb, Very bright and all white, as close to the uvb tube (reptiSun is the only tube in the US worth beans, Arcadia 12% in the UK, and the NEC t-10 Black in AUS.) so the dragon gets the benefit from both the heat and the uvb at the same time.

You can wash your hands with soap, each time you handle this animal to prevent any cross contamination, but as long as you don't eat off of anything this animal has pood on, most likely you won't have to worry about getting sick from it.

Let us know how it is doing, and a picture helps out lots !
Janie.
Oh your location will help out quite some bit too !

TheWolfmanTom

Dragon Breeder
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
As far as the wound goes get the animal to a vet. Infection can run rampant in these animals and if its been several days without cleaning a vet is needed.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yes, if his eye was cut off, he needs medical attention. Here is a link to find a vet in your area. It includes Australia, if that is where you are located:

Herp Vet Directory

If this was a wild dragon, I would find an animal rescue as soon as possible.

lmcf005

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
heres an update. Yes im from australia and yes its a wild one usually come across them every couple of weeks. After reading these forums these things are very difficult to take care of so i contacted the australia zoo and they are going to come pick it up this afternoon and give it the care it needs. Ill post another update when i know how he goes

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
That is great news. We will keep our fingers crossed that the little one receives the care needed. And hats off to you. I think it is wonderful that you took the beardie under your wing. Knowing that it reeked an injury due to your line of work and then seeing through to ensure he doesn't suffer out there. You truly are a good Samaritan.

Keep us updated!

Latest posts