• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Kidney disfunction/gout!

Evondra7

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello, first time posting on this! We have had our Ziggy for about 2.5 years and he's also about 2.5 years old! He's always been a relatively chill dude, however about a month ago he stopped eating and I noticed the swelling around his wrists and assumed it was gout ! I took him in for blood work and we determined he is having kidney issues along with gout and his uric acid is at about 23! We've been on an IV regiment alone with omnivore care daily with soaks! I also ordered some tart cherry concentrate to help with the pain from the gout... fast forward to today he's still
Not eating much lettuce/veggies and we fully stopped bugs so we can try to get his levels better! With that being said, he has a black beard a lot now and just curious if we even have a shot at fighting this... our vet recommend euthanizing, but I want to exhaust my options before we go that path! Any help, advice or insight good or bad would be greatly appreciated it! We don't want to loose our guy, but I don't want him
To be in constant pain either
IMG_6311.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_6139.jpeg
    IMG_6139.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 15

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hello, first time posting on this! We have had our Ziggy for about 2.5 years and he's also about 2.5 years old! He's always been a relatively chill dude, however about a month ago he stopped eating and I noticed the swelling around his wrists and assumed it was gout ! I took him in for blood work and we determined he is having kidney issues along with gout and his uric acid is at about 23! We've been on an IV regiment alone with omnivore care daily with soaks! I also ordered some tart cherry concentrate to help with the pain from the gout... fast forward to today he's still
Not eating much lettuce/veggies and we fully stopped bugs so we can try to get his levels better! With that being said, he has a black beard a lot now and just curious if we even have a shot at fighting this... our vet recommend euthanizing, but I want to exhaust my options before we go that path! Any help, advice or insight good or bad would be greatly appreciated it! We don't want to loose our guy, but I don't want him
To be in constant pain either
View attachment 35420
We need Tracie the vet tech on this board to address this- please post the latest blood work test - what your using for a uvb- and how your getting the surface basking temps - these are extremely important -
@Drache613

Evondra7

Bearded Dragon Egg
We need Tracie the vet tech on this board to address this- please post the latest blood work test - what your using for a uvb- and how your getting the surface basking temps - these are extremely important -
@ drache613
His bulb is a 10% T5 Arcadia is basking slate is at 104 I'm going to have to email my vet as I can't find his labs right now

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
We also just replaced his UVB in Jan so it should be good
I would get the 12% bulb - Arcadias are a great bulb - but you want the 12% bulb 24 watt-- I am flagging Tracie again --

Evondra7

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thank you! I'm also going to attach his lab results!

Attachments

• IMG_6362.png
    IMG_6362.png
    325.2 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_6361.png
    IMG_6361.png
    329 KB · Views: 6

Drache613

Hatchling Dragon
Hello,

I will take a look here this evening. Give me a little bit to review everything.
Did they put him on Allopurinol yet?

Tracie

Drache613

Hatchling Dragon
Hello,

Yes, see if they will prescribe the Allopurinol for him. His overall blood tests don't look too bad except
for the high Uric acid levels & his WBC counts are a bit high. That's most likely due to stress on the
kidneys bringing possible infection.
His calcium & phosphorus levels look good. Surprisingly the potassium levels are good also.
Continue to give the black/tart cherry juice extract daily, along with extra oral fluids, too as much as
you can.
Keep his protein levels low to moderate for now to help out his kidneys.
Is his beard still black today?

Tracie

Evondra7

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello,

Yes, see if they will prescribe the Allopurinol for him. His overall blood tests don't look too bad except
for the high Uric acid levels & his WBC counts are a bit high. That's most likely due to stress on the
kidneys bringing possible infection.
His calcium & phosphorus levels look good. Surprisingly the potassium levels are good also.
Continue to give the black/tart cherry juice extract daily, along with extra oral fluids, too as much as
you can.
Keep his protein levels low to moderate for now to help out his kidneys.
Is his beard still black today?

Tracie
I really appreciate your feedback!! His beard is black most of the time... that's what concerns me! His body and eyes are so bright and alert still, big he's gaping a lot almost like he's gagging, but he's not vommiting!

Drache613

Hatchling Dragon
Hello,

You are welcome.
Bless him. If your vet wont prescribe the Allopurinol, let me know. How is he taking the black or tart cherry juice, does
he like it?
Since his beard is black, he is definitely in distress so he
does need treatment as soon as possible. Are you able to
keep him warmer overnight right now, to help boost his
immune system? Keep him around 75-80F overnight, to
keep him more comfortable.
Have you gotten any food into him?

Keep us posted on his condition, thanks.

Tracie

Latest posts