• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Just ordered new uvb lamp and bulb. Anyone else use this one??

Cheyenne and Tony Paulsen

Bearded Dragon Egg
Zoo med reptisun t5-ho terrarium hood + zoo med reptisun 10.0 t5-ho Uvb 24w florescent. It's going on a40 gallon reptile tank. I have a small reptisun 10.0 13w mini coil type bulb in there now but I just don't thing that's enough Uvb for my little baby. What are your thoughts

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I have a reptisun T5ho bulb in a T5ho hood that I ordered from Carolina custom cages. It's great for large enclosures, and placing on screen tops, like in your 40 gallon. The bulb for your basking spot depends on your basking site temp. You want a basking site of 105F to 107F, a warm side in the low to mid 90s, and a cool side in the low to mid 80s.

Coil style UVB bulbs are awful. They don't put out wide spread UVB, and what the bulb can damage your beardies eyes in the long term. I'm not sure why they're on the market, probably because they're cheap, but it's not worth it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I use the Zoomed hood and used the Zoomed T5 bulb for awhile. It was a real good bulb. You want your UVB to cover 2/3'rds of your tank at least. I got the 36" and it covers the length of the tank, but I do have a bridge and they have a hide, that they can sit under or go in the hide to get away from the UVB.

I say I used the Zoomed T5 bulb because I switched to using Arcadia 12% bulbs. They are a little more expensive but they are supposed to be a little better than the Reptisun.

You could try the 100watt bulb if you wanted to lower his basking spot down a bit. Ideally they should be 6-8" away from their lights. Coil bulbs are known to cause problems with their retinas.

Cheyenne and Tony Paulsen

Bearded Dragon Egg
That's why I want this coil one gone asap! The new set will be here Monday I'm just using this one for him until then so he doesn't have absolutely no UVB. The one I got is 24 inches long and his enclosure is 36 inches long so that's about 3/4

Rex Carnage

Hatchling Dragon
i know this is a bit late to post on this thread but from the research ive done the reason coil bulbs get a bad rep is because when they first started making coil uvb bulbs it did harm reptiles eyes but after some time they fixed the problem, coil bulbs are safer NOW then most people think, its understandable though sense it did actually happen once upon a time. ALSO my cousin has been using coil bulbs with his beardie for 3 years now and there has been zero problems with his beardie at all.

BrookeE

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I used a coil for a few years too when I got mine and I really didn't know any better. She never had any issues. However, you have to realize that often problems stack up over many months or even years. Improper UVB lighting can lead to many issues long term. MBD for instance. So even if you're not seeing problems now, that does NOT mean that everything is okay.

Seeing as how UVB is so essential, why not just get a proper one that doesnt have a bad rep..?

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I used a coil for a few years too when I got mine and I really didn't know any better. She never had any issues. However, you have to realize that often problems stack up over many months or even years. Improper UVB lighting can lead to many issues long term. MBD for instance. So even if you're not seeing problems now, that does NOT mean that everything is okay.

Seeing as how UVB is so essential, why not just get a proper one that doesnt have a bad rep..?
All very good points and I feel the same way.. My thinking is yea they may have fixed the issue and they may be just fine bulbs however I promise my critters of any kind the best care I can give them when I bring them into my home. They depend on us for everything.. The other reason the coil bulbs are not very good is that they focus the rays in a much smaller area and the UVB needs to overlap with the basking bulb and that doesn't leave much room..they have to stay in a certain area just to get the UVB.. Tube styles spread the rays to more area making it easier and tube style are brighter overall.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Coil bulbs also don't penetrate the UVB far enough down in the tank. Your dragon would need to be 3-4 inches away from it to get the full effect.

Draeju's_world

Juvenile Dragon
It was the high output compact coil bulbs that caused issues with some beardies. Standard coil uvb bulbs are fine, but better suited for rainforest setups not beardies. I use a low wattage uvb coil bulb in a dome fixture with my crested gecko.

Rex Carnage

Hatchling Dragon
It was the high output compact coil bulbs that caused issues with some beardies. Standard coil uvb bulbs are fine, but better suited for rainforest setups not beardies. I use a low wattage uvb coil bulb in a dome fixture with my crested gecko.

high output as in 10.0 instead of 5.0? also there was a study done that showed putting tinfoil around your bulb fixture in the inside reflects a lot more uvb into the tank regardless of plastic screen tops. the study was actually done because of screen tops and it works according to their study, i read it along time ago so i honestly dont have any links to the site but if i find any in my browers ill definitely post it

Draeju's_world

Juvenile Dragon
Yes, but as far as I know that has been corrected. Many people still would rather not chance it, however. Those bulbs were producing uvb levels that exceded the sun's actual output and it was concentrated in a narrow area below the bulbs. As far as tinfoil is concerned, there are better alternatives. White paint or melamine is more effective, and a good parabolic reflector is far superior to all.

Latest posts