• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Jade (iguana)

lexi

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
This is Jade. She is a 6 year old iguana. Jade belongs to a friend of mine that I grew up with and reconnected with on Facebook.

A few days ago, I got an email, asking me if I would be willing to adopt Jade, because he and his wife no longer have time for her since having their daughter (who is now 3) and with both of them working. We agreed to take her in. She comes with her two enclosures (which he built himself), one for indoor/year round and one for outdoor/summer for hanging out on the patio during the warm summer days.

He says she used to be quite tame, but with not being handled as much she has started to tail-whip him when he comes into her enclosure. She's never bit, he says. We're hoping to be able to get her used to human attention and contact again. If this isn't possible, then we'll just care for her as we would any other pet.

I am, to be honest, not an iguana fan - I really believe these animals should not be sold in the pet trade, not because I don't like them but more because they are so often abandoned once they reach adult size, become sexually mature and/or become more aggressive. I've read a TON about iguanas and there are very different opinions on whether they should be pets or not... I lean towards not, but not having had personal experience, I could just be full of it. And it's not the animal itself that I dislike... the real issue is whether humans will buy an 8 inch lizard as a baby and still want that same lizard when it reaches 4 to 6 feet! I think the majority of people aren't prepared for that... my friend, obviously, was in terms of her enclosure. He knew, size-wise, what he was getting into. But, I see so many of these guys on craigslist and up for sale when they reach 'that age', and it upsets me.

So, we are taking her in, in a rescue-type capacity. It could be that she is going through a hormonal cycle (breeding season) or she could just not have had the attention she should have. Either way, if she becomes a sweet pet that can be held, etc. that's great... if she doesn't, she still needs people to take care of her, and we can do that for her.

This is her indoor enclosure. He spent a lot of money making this. It's 6'H x 6'W x 3'D.
10121_1043354580521_1725301038_8551.jpg

This is her outdoor enclosure. He said she loves to be outdoors in the summer months.
10121_1043354860528_1725301038_8551.jpg

This is Jade, formerly 'Kozmo' (they thought she was a he)...
10121_1043354900529_1725301038_8551.jpg

10121_1043354620522_1725301038_8551.jpg

I would love to hear some positive iguana stories, so if anyone has experience with these guys or has some good stuff to share, please jump in! She will be here on Sunday.

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
i currently own a rhinoceros iguana (my friend is baby sitting until i get a larger house/apt) i dealt with the tail whips and bites for months but i find that they respond well to love and compassion...you earn their trust quicker that way...although i dont physically have him in my house right now, when i did he was the biggest cuddle bug once he realized i wasnt going to let anything harm him...my friend who has him is in love with him for having such a sweet personality...he also took in a green iguana rescue who was as nasty as they come and he got him to be sweet as well...it takes time and patience but it definitely pays off in the end...you seem like a great person who loves their animals so i doubt you will have that much of an issue with the iguana

congrats by the way

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Once upon a time... a young mother worked at a pet store... and there was a 2 year old greenie, that she cared for and named... Ignacious...
Now Ignacious wasn't allowed a whole lot of room in his enclosure, but he did like shoulder rides and "neck snoozes". So while the young mother would tend to the fish tanks, Ignacious would ride around on her shoulder... peeking out of her long hair now and again, when something interested him...
He always got the freshest fruits and veggies that this young mother grew herself, and eventually, she found him a wonderful home... where last she heard, he was reigning supreme over the back yard, brick fenced in, and guarding the family home, with his massive tail... Note to readers... He doesn't like puppy dogs... and will warn them away with that tail ;).
The End...
Janie

Latest posts