• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

It's probably just me..

beardie_love

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Well, as some of you know, Charlie is in brumation. Still. And he's been down since I think it was October.

I'm just being a worry-wart here. Need a bit of comforting lol...... I just want to see him chowing down on supers like he always loves eating, and glass dancing every day because he wants me to take him out. Oh and I loved when he would head bob at my other beardies lol..

I remember when I got Charlie last year in March, and he was JUST coming out of brumation, the previous owners said. Crud, now I have to wait till around March? I miss him !

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Oh gosh, you got some comforting right here. Soooooo glad its not me.
I think Id freak out if Pogie went down for 1 month, and youre on month 4 already :eek:

How do you cope ???

beardie_love

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I guess I cope with keeping busy. I wake up between 11am and 1pm, and leave for work at 4:30 soo I guess (and this sounds mean with no intention of it) I just 'ignore' him. LOL :( Rather than me not having a job back in early October, where I would pretty much interact with my beardies all day!

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yeah... it's hard... Mine all went down from Sept through Oct. Annebelle wakes up now and then, but all the boys are down. No weight loss that's significant. No parasites...
Not sure when mine will wake up, but I'm guessing when the weather outside is a bit more warmer...

Just so you all understand, you can't really rely on the previous brumations, for duration. Each year can be different.

Hope this helps.

packfan74

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
whats the deal with brumation? My guy is young (9 months) so he is not in full blown sleep mode yet. He only sleeps for a day or two so far. I was told that I should still keep his day/night cycle going so I still turn on his lights around 7:30 AM and then don't turn them off until around 7:00 PM (which is a couple of hours earlier than what I was previously doing).

At first when I started suspecting brumation, I tried to slowly cut back his light by a couple of hours each day over a 7 day period ending in total darkness all day/night w/no heat at all. This didn't work very well. At the end, I'd peek into his tank to see if he was still in his box and I'd find him starring back at me from on top of his rocks as if to say - alright, what the heck have you done with the sun now?......paid the eletric bill lately have we?

So I guess what my questions is, am I suppose to be keeping his lights on or off? If on, am I suppose to be doing so for only a few hours a day? Also what about soaks? I had someone tell me that even during brumation I'm suppose to take him out of his box and give him a bath EVERY day....? Is that right? Doesn't seem so to me - I thought sleeping was sleeping and that you shouldn't take them out of their box unless they come out on their own...?

I've read this forum's posts on brumation but I'm still not clear on these points. Please help.

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
keep all lights on for the normal amount of time. If you want cut it back to 10/14 instead of 14/10 you can do that. Not all beardies brumate, Oscar has been awake all winter, just slowed down his eating a little and puts himself to be early. Piggy was down for 3 almost 4 months and I am so happy she is finally awake.

Melissa don't worry he will wake up and it got to the point of me ignoring Piggy too. You have too or it will drive you crazy. You just have to peek at them and move on. It sucks.

Latest posts