• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Is there such thing as too much?

Buschman

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hey everyone! I just got back from the pet store a little while ago with some mealies and wax(ies?) And decided to give hand feeding a try, see how me eye to eye me and Zeke were. It was a success! he took everything I offered him(I took a video that I'm attempting to get off my phone) My real question was "Is it possible to overfeed a beardie? Can they become obese?" I didn't feed him only wax worms. The wax worms were mainly a treat for handling the move very well (I thought) I maybe fed 4 or 5 max between what seemed like the whole container of meal worms. The feeding took place over about 9-10 minutes and I filmed about 4-5 minutes of it. So I ask, should I just keep feeding the beast till he losses interest? I'm confused if there's a fine balance between the amount of food he should eat.

Buschman

Bearded Dragon Egg
Alrighty everyone, the video is uploading to YouTube as we speak. I will then link it in this thread for those of you who are interested.

gilliesexotics

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi, yes they can become obese.

This is just my opinion from experiences. They love worms. If abused your dragon may refuse wholesome feeders like crickets or roaches as worms is like ice cream to reptiles. I would suggest feeding him his normal round of crickets or roaches. Then giving him these as "snacks or desert". Mealworms or waxworms are not completely harmful BUT they can be the devil in disguise if not used right.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
@gilliesexotics

Too True ...
icon_thumright-1.gif

Buschman

Bearded Dragon Egg
When you say worms are you meaning wax worms or both wax worms and meal worms? How can they be the "devil in disguise" Not trying to question you, I'm just not that knowledgeable about them.

gilliesexotics

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi, I was speaking of wax worms, meal worms, super worms.

Devil in disguise: Abused - given as a staple and or improper gut loading. These bugs have a poor nutritional make up but taste so good to many reptiles. Given as a staple over a undetermined period of time (could be one week, could one month). Your dragon will refuse all other "Good" feeders and will only accept worms. I unfortunately learned this the hard way. It sometimes takes a very long time to get them back on good feeders.

Buschman

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ah, I think I may have already spoiled him... He ate two crickets today(I think just because they were moving and instincts kicked in) but won't touch the rest. I'm guessing doing worms today instead of crickets would only hurt the progress?

avyrus666

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
The way I look at it is if they're fat they're healthy. Just don't get him so plump he can't walk. Lol.

It's okay once in a while, I think.

Sent from my ADR6330VW using Tapatalk 2