• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Is there a way to tell if my dragon is done growing?

Squish

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Fernando has grown quickly since I got him and he's a little over a foot in length (I'm estimating, he's basking comfortably right now). He looks much more mature and he is a leatherback which I've heard don't get quite as large. I think I've noticed his growth has begun to slow down a bit, but he's got a very thick tail base which makes me think (and hope!) that he's going to keep getting larger! Any way to guess how big he'll get or how much longer he'll grow for? I'm not sure of his exact age, but I've had him for about 2 1/2 months and he was probably 7 or 8 inches when I got him. How long does it take a dragon to reach full size?

Mom of blazey

Juvenile Dragon
Can you post a pic of your guy? Maybe from when you 1st got him and a current pic

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G850A using Tapatalk

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Fernando has grown quickly since I got him and he's a little over a foot in length (I'm estimating, he's basking comfortably right now). He looks much more mature and he is a leatherback which I've heard don't get quite as large. I think I've noticed his growth has begun to slow down a bit, but he's got a very thick tail base which makes me think (and hope!) that he's going to keep getting larger! Any way to guess how big he'll get or how much longer he'll grow for? I'm not sure of his exact age, but I've had him for about 2 1/2 months and he was probably 7 or 8 inches when I got him. How long does it take a dragon to reach full size?
Their growing slows at a year old..yes please post some pictures

Mom of blazey

Juvenile Dragon
Yep, about a year, it's been a while since I've thought about this kind of stuff.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
They are considered adults at about 18 months and that's usually when they hit their max. They may still grow a little bit after that but it won't be as noticeable.

Squish

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Awesome, thanks for your responses, I'm sure he's still got some growing to do.

I'll post some pics a bit later today!

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
My girl Dexter is 4 and she has gained a tiny bit of length in the past few years. As adults, mine also tend to lose and gain the same 10 grams of weight.

Squish

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Okay, I actually was able to snap a few pics of him this morning. This is when I first got him. It's not a great pic, but for some reason I didn't take any others of his size specifically at first:
Snapchat-496047267.jpg

Squish

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
These are from this morning! His tail is so long, makes me think he's got some growing to do!
20170518_070923.jpg

Here he is next to a foot long ruler. I don't know where my tape measure is at the moment, but this gives a good idea of scale.
20170518_071102.jpg

Squish

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Most dragons I see have the really big heads upon maturity. His is still a bit dinky. Not sure if he's likely to grow into that more, or if some dragons just have a little head.

In these pics his head doesn't look little. It's definitely proportionate, but it's still not "mature looking" with the big beard and everything.

Also, if I had to guess he's maybe around 6 or 7 months old. I'd have to contact the breeder to ask how old he was when I got him. I was too excited, and forgot to ask!

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
He is a really good looking dragon and will fill out some more all the way around maybe not in more length but in all other areas..

Mom of blazey

Juvenile Dragon
I miss this age, now I get to watch other people's dragons like yours grow up! They really are a special kind of reptile, so interactive with their human mom's and dad's.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
He's beautiful! I think he still has some growing to do even though he had the longest tail ever LOL! I think he's going to fill out more.

Squish

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Haha thank you guys! Yeah, I think his tail is so funny, makes me think he'll get a bit bulkier. I'm really excited how nice his color is turning out too! He's very energetic and "grumpy". One minute he's calmly hanging out, and the next he's running around and giving me sass. Not sure if that's a male dragon thing, but I'm hoping he grows into being a bit calmer. I can't tell if he's a more anxious than other dragons or if he just wants to do his own thing and I get in the way of that when I take him out to hang.

Squish

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
I miss this age, now I get to watch other people's dragons like yours grow up! They really are a special kind of reptile, so interactive with their human mom's and dad's.

Yes! They are very unique animals for sure. Before getting him I already had toads, frogs and cats. I love how my dragon seems closer to the social level of the cats than the frogs/toads! I feel like I'm still getting to know him.