• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Is my BD eating enough?

Bushmaster11B

Juvenile Dragon
I know I just have received my new baby BD Aries (7 weeks, 7" long, 14 grams) today. However, I just want to be precise on everything so here is my question: How many 3/8" crickets should he eat in a day? I fed him 3 different times today and he mainly ate 3/8" but has about 4 1/4" size and 1 or 2 that I believe to be close to 1/2" (I was trying to get the older crix out of my box 1st)??

Breakfast 6 Crix
Lunch 8 Crix
Dinner 2 Crix

Total 16 Crix Average size- 3/8"
I tried feeding more in a 30 minute period for dinner but he turned his head and closed his eyes..... He did the same when I offered some a few hours later after dinner.....

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
TOO LITTLE? TOO MUCH? --- FOOD

Closing of the eyes at lunch time is generally a sign that they have had enough, mine do it all the time when I'm hand feeding roaches & they are 'done'. If you happen to watch the feeding vids on my website, you will notice this happen quite frequently.

Your BD may go through an acclimation period that can last as much as a week to 10 days, during this time it's appetite & sleep patterns may be affected. It is best to keep handling minimal & to maintenance only during this time, to make the transition as stress free as possible.

Different BDs have different appetites, different growing spurts, different activity, etc, etc, so it is impossible to say "Your BD should eat X amount of feeders". It's eating pattern that you have described seems to be right in the Ball Park.

The all they can in a 10-15 minute rule of thumb is a good one, no need to stretch it out longer than that. It also doesn't hurt to leave a few stragglers in the enclosure during the day for that Opportunistic snack throughout the day. There are the odd BDs that will not eat fully, if at all, while we are watching, sometimes it is better to offer the live prey & walk away, to let them eat without distraction by you, for the first while.

Latest posts