• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

is it bad my beardie stashes food in her beard?

Dwaggie

Bearded Dragon Egg
heya you all!

so, all in all my beardie's (she's 5) doing well, no concerns right now.
though, i've noticed that she's always stashing the food she eats in her beard.
it doesn't matter what it is, it always goes into her beard first, and from there she flexes it, does big gulps until she eventually gets it all down bit by bit.
the first time she did it, i thought she was choking, but she doesn't appear agitated or anything.

do i need to watch that?
maybe only feed her tiny bits with pauses?
or is that just something she does because she's greedy and wants to snarf down everything and THEN bother to swallow it.
i gave her a slice of banana today, as a treat (she only gets a piece every 2-3 weeks) and she's crazy for banana.
the only time she ever bit me was when i was feeding her banana.
today she drew blood she was so greedy (and i need to hold the banana, since it won't stick to her tongue and she can't eat it well) she catches my finger every. single. time.

anyway.
the banana (which she did chew btw) ended up in her beard and sat there for a couple minutes before she got it down.
same with her salad yesterday and the flowers i picked the day before

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Your isn't the only beardie to do this and in some ways I think it's just a beardie thing, some do some don't. What I would watch for is if she doesn't swallow it after a bit of time as you don't really want her holding onto it in there for long periods as if it did try to go down at once it could cause choking.. but if she does swallow it after a few min I don't see much to worry about.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Yeah, it's a weird beardie thing LOL! Just make sure that she does eventually swallow it.

Latest posts