• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Is his diet ok?

Kuhli

Bearded Dragon Egg
Mostly i feed Manny (juvenile bearded dragon) collard greens and crickets. But I dont feed him live crickets, I feed him the freeze dried ones. Every day, I put in his food dish a small handful of fresh, cut up collard greens and next to that, a huge pile of freeze dried crickets. I coat both in calcium powder and then vitamin d3 powder. Sometimes he doesnt eat immediately, and lets it get all crusted up, but overall he's still an acitive reptile. But should I change this diet? Are freeze dried crickets ok as a daily thing? Should i get live waxworms again?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Mostly i feed Manny (juvenile bearded dragon) collard greens and crickets. But I dont feed him live crickets, I feed him the freeze dried ones. Every day, I put in his food dish a small handful of fresh, cut up collard greens and next to that, a huge pile of freeze dried crickets. I coat both in calcium powder and then vitamin d3 powder. Sometimes he doesnt eat immediately, and lets it get all crusted up, but overall he's still an acitive reptile. But should I change this diet? Are freeze dried crickets ok as a daily thing? Should i get live waxworms again?

Live feeders is always best! as those freeze dried ones have zero nutrients left in them not to mention they get most of their moisture from the foods that they eat. And live foods keep their interest in prey items..
Dubia roaches, superworms, silkworms, phoenix worms, hornworms are all excellent staple items waxworms, butterworms are treat items as they have alot of fat in them and they should be given in moderation as they LOVE them and will often hold out and wait for them instead of eating bugs that are better for them...

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Agreed, freeze dried insects offer no nutrition, it's like us eating chips everyday. Offer live foods for moisture and nutrition and to keep them active.

Kuhli

Bearded Dragon Egg
Agreed, freeze dried insects offer no nutrition, it's like us eating chips everyday. Offer live foods for moisture and nutrition and to keep them active.
Ok thanks i actually found a great feeder seller website ill be ordering from them very soon[emoji11]

Dogdayz1215

Juvenile Dragon
Live feeders is always best! as those freeze dried ones have zero nutrients left in them not to mention they get most of their moisture from the foods that they eat. And live foods keep their interest in prey items..
Dubia roaches, superworms, silkworms, phoenix worms, hornworms are all excellent staple items waxworms, butterworms are treat items as they have alot of fat in them and they should be given in moderation as they LOVE them and will often hold out and wait for them instead of eating bugs that are better for them...
Ok, so I'm a bit confused. You didn't mention live crickets in your list. Are those not good as a staple protein?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Crickets are okay but not the greatest. Those of us who have been feeding beardies for years are kinda over them and don't even recommend them any more. They are just real
dirty and sensitive to care for.

Dogdayz1215

Juvenile Dragon
So....are there any recommendations for where to purchase? I'd prefer to stick to one of the worm types if possible

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
There's lots of places to order from. It's really how many worms you want to have at one time. One may sell 250 super worms and another may sell 500 super worms.

Places to check out:

Rainbow Mealworms
Linda's Gone Buggie
Josh's Frogs
Flukers
Mulberry Farms
Great Lakes Hornworms
Coastal Silkworms

Dogdayz1215

Juvenile Dragon
There's lots of places to order from. It's really how many worms you want to have at one time. One may sell 250 super worms and another may sell 500 super worms.

Places to check out:

Rainbow Mealworms
Linda's Gone Buggie
Josh's Frogs
Flukers
Mulberry Farms
Great Lakes Hornworms
Coastal Silkworms
Awesome, thx. How long can you keep the worms before they die or mature?

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Supers keep for a long time. Just keep their substrate dry. I feed them left over salad bits from the dragons and I put them on cardboard drink holders to keep them off of the substrate. Soft bodied worms like silk and horns, grow pretty fast so they should be fed off quick.

Latest posts