• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Is he ok?

topdawg

Bearded Dragon Egg
I've had my beautiful bearded dragon for around a year now and he hasn't grown much since then other than a few inches. He doesn't have any spikes but sheds a lot due to it and has the lighting and heating he needs up to my knowledge. The person I bought him from also told me it was a regular bearded dragon. I am so confused but love my little boy. Can anyone tell me if he's a different species or if I'm doing anything wrong. I've been feeding him on a dubia and veggie diet. Any help will be appreciated!
20240226_020654.jpg

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I've had my beautiful bearded dragon for around a year now and he hasn't grown much since then other than a few inches. He doesn't have any spikes but sheds a lot due to it and has the lighting and heating he needs up to my knowledge. The person I bought him from also told me it was a regular bearded dragon. I am so confused but love my little boy. Can anyone tell me if he's a different species or if I'm doing anything wrong. I've been feeding him on a dubia and veggie diet. Any help will be appreciated! View attachment 35351
I believe you have a leatherback and he is shedding - I am gonna have someone help you w/ him and his needs etc ---

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I believe you have a leatherback and he is shedding - I am gonna have someone help you w/ him and his needs etc ---
I got a response from the person I reached out to
That's a silkback aka silkie . They have no scales, just skin [ some have small patches of extreme micro scales ] so they need different special care. It's good to have plain aloe gel with NO alcohol or other ingredients to put on them at least once a week. They need a less intense basking bulb so as not to burn and slightly less uvb.

The silkie is produced by breeding 2 leatherbacks and is seen as unethical because of their lower quality of life but they can still thrive. Breeding 2 leatherbacks will produce 3 different " morphs " in each clutch.....some will be regular scaled, some will be leatherbacks, some will be silkbacks in each clutch.

Please describe your enclosure set up , post pics of everything including lights. We'll try to help you take care of him the best way .

topdawg

Bearded Dragon Egg
I got a response from the person I reached out to
That's a silkback aka silkie . They have no scales, just skin [ some have small patches of extreme micro scales ] so they need different special care. It's good to have plain aloe gel with NO alcohol or other ingredients to put on them at least once a week. They need a less intense basking bulb so as not to burn and slightly less uvb.

The silkie is produced by breeding 2 leatherbacks and is seen as unethical because of their lower quality of life but they can still thrive. Breeding 2 leatherbacks will produce 3 different " morphs " in each clutch.....some will be regular scaled, some will be leatherbacks, some will be silkbacks in each clutch.

Please describe your enclosure set up , post pics of everything including lights. We'll try to help you take care of him the best way .
I had no idea and thought he was going to grow more as the guy who sold me him told me that his spikes will come in and their scales. In the photo is my set up and we have a large enclosure that we still have to get ready. We just need the room for it but his basking light is off because I have my heat on and he has a basking rock. Let me know anything I can do. At this point my money is low but I am willing to do anything to provide him with more advice other than the web. He also has his uvb light up above.

Attachments

• 20240228_192056.jpg
    20240228_192056.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 13

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I had no idea and thought he was going to grow more as the guy who sold me him told me that his spikes will come in and their scales. In the photo is my set up and we have a large enclosure that we still have to get ready. We just need the room for it but his basking light is off because I have my heat on and he has a basking rock. Let me know anything I can do. At this point my money is low but I am willing to do anything to provide him with more advice other than the web. He also has his uvb light up above.
At some point it would also be good to clip the nails, even if it's can be done a couple at a time. What's the little b.d's name by the way ?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
She has given this advice for you ---

He needs a different set up immediately. The biggest problem with such a small tank is there's no way to have a heat gradient, meaning you need one end where the high temp. [ for a silkie ] is a around 88-90, and a low temp. at the other end of around 78-80. You're better off looking for a used 40 gallon tank if you can't afford a new one. Try to find one ASAP, it will be a huge upgrade and then you can provide a proper heat gradient for him. Get rid of the heat rock right away, that can burn completely through his skin, don't hesitate, take it right out. So that's where to start.

Latest posts