• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Intelligence of bearded dragons

RF Wildlife

Bearded Dragon Egg
I am new to bearded dragons, but have noticed that my beardy knows what is in each food container. If I pull out the container that horn worms are kept in he gets rather excited runs up to the door. Horn worms are his favorite treat, yet he can not see the worms in the container. Super worms he will get some what excited he will move to the edge of his basking rock where he launches after them. Dubias and crickets he does not respond until they are in the viv. I have made the order I give him the bugs random, so it appears he definitely knows what container is what. Pretty neat that he can associate the different containers to what is inside them. I am going to try a color or symbol association game with him before each bug and see how long it takes for him to figure it out, if ever:)

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
There was an article I read recently about this topic, I think it was in Reptile Magazine. There was a study and they trained a bearded dragon to open up this little fence and get to the meal worms. They let one group of dragons watch him do this and the other group didn't. The group that watched him was able to go to the fence open it up and eat. The other group couldn't figure it out.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I just read that article this week PatsyB!! So amazing!

There was also another one I just read where the one dragon performed the trick and they showed the other ones a VIDEO and they knew how to open it! A video! So that means we better be careful of what we are watching on the internet with our beardies :)

Mushuandcricket

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
My girl will hunt the dubia colony everytime she gets run of the house. When she finds it she puts a hand on it like she is claiming it.
That is funny. Not only claiming it but but probably saying give me a few.

They are very intelligent which is why I think they bring so much joy. They have their personalities. Mine is smart enough to train me lol.

Ginger Beard

Bearded Dragon Egg
MIne will try to run away from me when I get her out and when I put something in her way she will find a way around it. Even if it means climbing up my shirt onto my head.

Latest posts