• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Insects to feed my beardie!

baldegale14

Juvenile Dragon
so i was wondering whats your guys thoughts on the insects? like can you list things in order between crickets, mealworms, superworms, or dubias and why you like/dislike them? itd help me out a lot!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cottonguy

Bearded Dragon Egg
This is the list of feeders which I use for my son’s bearded dragon.

Crickets- I really don’t bother with them. They stink and if they escape they chirp and are really annoying. Only feed very rarely just to vary her diet.

Superworms – she enjoys them. I’m currently breeding them. Don’t like to buy them because prices vary depending where you get them. I’ve paid $5 for 25 large at one shop and $5 for 100 large at a reptile show. Easy to breed.

Dubia – my favorite as a feeder insect. Her staple insect feeder. Really easy to breed. Probably the easiest of all the feeder insects in my opinion. Large numbers of roaches once you get a colony going. No real smell – will eat just about anything. Easy to gut load when separated into a feeding bin. All around winner in my opinion.

Hornworms – my son’s bearded dragon absolutely loves them. Will run across the tank to take one from his hand. Expensive though. We got around 20 or so at a recent reptile show for $11. In the process of pupating them in order to breed them later this spring.

Wax worms, BSF larvae and other feeders – never really fed them nor had the need to feed them to her so can’t offer my experience/opinion on them.

Mealworms - never feed to a bearded dragon.

Bclifton

Bearded Dragon Egg
How old is your son's beardie? And/Or how many Dubia does he eat per day? Do you have an overstock of them?

I want to breed my own food. I don't want to have to keep driving to get it or pay for small batches...

Right now mine is a baby. A couple months old so I'm feeding him/her crickets. But I want to breed my feed and breed healthy feed.

Can you give me tips/tricks?? I have been reading Dubia are hands down the healthiest and cleanest (even though they are a roach)

cottonguy

Bearded Dragon Egg
We got her from a breeder last year in July. She was born in March so she’s right at a year old now. When we first got her she was eating around 50 or so small dubia a day. That got expensive real fast so I started breeding my own. As a juvenile she only really ate insects and little or no greens. As she’s gotten older she’s started eating more greens and doesn’t eat nearly as much insects as she used to. She now only eats about 5 or 10 medium dubia or 2-3 large adult dubia each day. Somedays she doesn’t even touch them. I haven’t tried feeding her small dubia anymore but now that I have hundreds if not thousands of small I’m going to start putting them in a stainless steel bowl in her enclosure and see if she will eat them during the day. It’s high enough so the roaches can’t crawl out of it but she can lean in and eat them.
I've written about how and why I breed my dubia the way I do if you want to see.

http://www.beardeddragonforum.com/i...ia-colony-(pics)---please-adviseadvise.15914/

Bclifton

Bearded Dragon Egg
We got her from a breeder last year in July. She was born in March so she’s right at a year old now. When we first got her she was eating around 50 or so small dubia a day. That got expensive real fast so I started breeding my own. As a juvenile she only really ate insects and little or no greens. As she’s gotten older she’s started eating more greens and doesn’t eat nearly as much insects as she used to. She now only eats about 5 or 10 medium dubia or 2-3 large adult dubia each day. Somedays she doesn’t even touch them. I haven’t tried feeding her small dubia anymore but now that I have hundreds if not thousands of small I’m going to start putting them in a stainless steel bowl in her enclosure and see if she will eat them during the day. It’s high enough so the roaches can’t crawl out of it but she can lean in and eat them.
I've written about how and why I breed my dubia the way I do if you want to see.

http://www.beardeddragonforum.com/i...ia-colony-(pics)---please-adviseadvise.15914/

Thank you!

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I use supers, hornworms, dubia, silk worms. My favorite is silkworms because they are a good all around feeder. I have a dragon with MBD and silk worms not only have calcium but something called serrapeptase that is a feel good enzyme that helps boost the effectiveness of medications and other supplements. Silkworms are expensive and hard to find sometimes though. I mainly use super worms because they last a long time, you just have to be careful about feeding too many because they do have a higher fat count. I always keep hornworms on hand for hydration and they are excellent feeders to inject with medicines and stuff like liquid calcium. Dubia are real good and easy to keep. Unfortunately in my house, only one of my dragons will eat them, and even then he's not that excited about them. I don't use BSFL for any of my animals because they don't digest them properly. I do however let the larva turn into flies and have given the flies to my male dragon. Mostly my frog and chameleon eat them. I have also fed my male dragon a hornworm moth when it's turned.

I have three dragons and they are all over the age of 3.

baldegale14

Juvenile Dragon
I use supers, hornworms, dubia, silk worms. My favorite is silkworms because they are a good all around feeder. I have a dragon with MBD and silk worms not only have calcium but something called serrapeptase that is a feel good enzyme that helps boost the effectiveness of medications and other supplements. Silkworms are expensive and hard to find sometimes though. I mainly use super worms because they last a long time, you just have to be careful about feeding too many because they do have a higher fat count. I always keep hornworms on hand for hydration and they are excellent feeders to inject with medicines and stuff like liquid calcium. Dubia are real good and easy to keep. Unfortunately in my house, only one of my dragons will eat them, and even then he's not that excited about them. I don't use BSFL for any of my animals because they don't digest them properly. I do however let the larva turn into flies and have given the flies to my male dragon. Mostly my frog and chameleon eat them. I have also fed my male dragon a hornworm moth when it's turned.

I have three dragons and they are all over the age of 3.
wow, i never saw this until now. anyways, since this post i strted feeding my beardie 5-7 supers a day and he absolutely loves them.

Latest posts