• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Infertile eggs and lay boxes

apoptosis

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi everyone!

So, I guess I'll start from the beginning. I've been thinking of getting an account on this forum for a while, due to the reptile renovations I've been doing recently. By this, I mean I've begun getting everything right for our bearded dragon, which my girlfriend received from a stepbrother.

This week, I actually ordered quite a few things from amazon for our Rex (wasn't our name for her), but had to miss the delivery of the package due to an ER visit. I got the package (lighting, food, reptile carpet, etc.) a few days later, but guess what I missed during another medical adventure? The delivery of eight infertile eggs.

So, after panicking (I didn't know this could happen with a celibate bearded dragon!) I started researching like there was no tomorrow, I overcame a fear of driving (as well as the acute colitis that put me in the ER) to try to assemble a lay box, and managed to move our Rex into the bath, and later the lay box, without being bitten (she bit me once before because she thought i was apples).

So now, even though the laying behavior (digging at corners, etc.) has stopped, Rex has randomly laid a single egg twice since the first eightfold deposit. I put her in the lay box yesterday but she didn't dig or anything. It seems all digging has stopped, but she still could very well have eggs in her!

I'm sorry if this post is disorganized, or even breaking a forum rule I'm not aware of, but I am intensely worried about her. I wanted to ask for general advice, as well as how long to leave her in the lay box, and when to take her to the vet for egg binding. Anything and everything you can tell me will help.

apoptosis

Bearded Dragon Egg
I'm unable to figure out how to edit, so I'm going to double post and probably leave a bad first impression.

However, she laid another egg in the time since I wrote that. I put her back into the lay box for the couples remaining daylight hours.

Canicke

Super Moderator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi there ! dont worry too much about the learning curve - we all have different angles !! You may be able to feel eggs in her belly. I've not been through this, so do not have first hand experience - dont panic - wont do no body no good. Some one will chip in with some good info

apoptosis

Bearded Dragon Egg
I sure hope so! i've heard about feeling eggs in her tummy, but that presents its own problems; namely, I've just started handling her. Yesterday was the first time I personally have ever picked her up (i pet her back everyday, but handling is a whole other story). And since my girlfriend, the one who has picked her up, is gone, I'm not sure what eggs would feel like in her :/ and I am very afraid she'll bite me if i do too much feeling!

But yes, I'm sure a lot of people have had their dragon lay infertile eggs, and I am very eager to read their advice! Thanks for your input :)

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
That's the unfortunate thing about female bearded dragons they keep us constantly aware that one day they could lay infertile eggs. I haven't gone through this myself but you did the right thing by making a lay box. Make sure that the substrate is kept wet. You want her to be able to dig a tunnel without it falling in on her but you also don't want it to be sopping wet. From what I've read, eggs would feel like round balls in the middle to lower part of her belly. When you pick her up, with one hand scoop under her front legs and with the other hand gently support her back legs and tail as she gets situated on your hand. Never reach over her head to pick her up. When you look at her head right in the center you will see a darkened scale that almost looks like a pinhole, that is called her "3rd" eye and that's how she senses danger from predators overhead. Like Canicke said, don't get stressed, it won't be good for the dragon or your condition.

apoptosis

Bearded Dragon Egg
The third eye thing is really neat, and way more pronounced in tuataras, which are unique enough to be their own order! (I'm sure a whole lot of you knew this on a reptile forum; it's just really cool)

Should I leave her in the lay box all day? Literally all she does is stand there, looking very confused. I've heard not to leave them in overnight (especially since I work nights). I've been kind of moving her into the lay box for several hours and then back over to her enclosure for night. But she hasn't displayed any digging behavior at all since she let the first 8 eggs go. It's like the 3 straggler eggs have taken her by surprise too!

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I'm not really sure. It is possible that she laid them all but i'm not sure how many they usually do at a time. Another thing you want to do is make sure you up her calcium intake. Laying eggs takes a lot out of her. So make sure you are dusting all her food with calcium and maybe feeding her some worms that are known to be high in calcium. Phoenix worms or they are also called calciworms, silk worms, hornworms are all good if you can get them.

apoptosis

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi everyone! It's been a while--I've been having more doctor's visits, unfortunately.

But, regarding Rex--i've been putting her in the lay box periodically and she just will not dig. No more eggs have been laid and her behavior seems pretty normal to me. I've upped her calcium intake to compensate for those eggshells of hers, and i don't think i can feel anything besides dragon tummy when i touch her sides.

Oh, which reminds me--we are both getting a lot more used to handling, thanks to recent events! I doubt she'll bite me anytime soon :)

thank you for all your help! i think and hope she's done with laying for now. expect me to be asking for all kinds of help soon as i continue getting everything in Rex's life the best it can be!

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
That's all great news! Sometimes I think they know we are trying to help them and they drop their guard and get a little more trusting.

Turkey Hunter

Bearded Dragon Egg
Lots of times infertile eggs are very difficult to detect. They are usually much smaller and not as firm. I have had beardie girls lay them without warning. The only warning was incessant digging. You can also give her a soak if she seems restless. Sometimes they will lay another egg...or just poop!

jarich

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Also, I could be mistaken but it sounds like your laybox is not in the normal enclosure. Is there a way for you to leave it inside the enclosure? That way she can have access to it whenever she wants it. What temperature is the soil or whatever substrate you are using in the laybox?

Latest posts