• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

incubation questions

Swistable

Hatchling Dragon
I have my eggs sitting in coconut husk substrate. I have found out my hygrometer was in accurate I have a new one that works and I cannot get it lower than 90%... my temp goes from 83-84.4F ... I read that people put their eggs in vermiculite but I cannot purchase it in my area they removed it everywhere due to link of asbestos. Could it be because coconut husk causes too much humidity?
This is the link I used to build my incubator. www.youtube.com/watch?v=T86nPATEckA

Here are my eggs
20140717_231637.jpg

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Do you have good ventilation in your incubator? Coconut husk is really funny stuff. When it's dry and you pour water on it, the water runs right off or pools on top of it. But once it's saturated it's really saturated. Maybe you can replace some of the wet with dry. Also, I noticed that when it stays wet for long periods of time with not a lot of ventilation, like under feeding bowls, mold can start to grow. So be careful that your eggs aren't getting moldy.

ilovebeardies

Juvenile Dragon
Coconut husk retains water once saturated pretty well I believe you could also use pearlite I believe its called its the next best thing to vermiculite

Swistable

Hatchling Dragon
Yeah I want to get them out of them coconut husk... one of them don't look too great.. I guess any gardening place should have pearlite I will try that . Thanks to you both..
No not much ventilation I been thinking on how I Cando that. . I literally did the same set up as my youtube video there's only one hole out the big box with holes on the box my eggs are in.

ilovebeardies

Juvenile Dragon
I think once you change the substrate your humidity will be better you are measuring the humidity from inside the containers and not the whole incubator itself right?

Swistable

Hatchling Dragon
Its in the container with the eggs. I will be going to change the substrate. Hoping it s not too late.. problems with the hygrometor didn't let me learn this sooner ): .. only one of them looks weird so far but yeah..

diegothediggy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Beardie Club
Not at all! They are on day 46 today! I've kept my incubator between 84-86F, I've read that incubating at lower temps usually produces more females but extends incubation time. So to be honest I have no idea lol
How long on average do they take to hatch ?

hodged02

Bearded Dragon Egg
The five clutches of eggs my mate has incubated for me were kept at 34 degrees and took between 60-90 days, got clutch no.6 (14 eggs) in a similar DIY incubateor to yours but I do have vermiculite (hate the stuff when it's wet as gets everywhere)