• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Impaction

dragonscales

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I never thought I’d be happy about poop but it looks like a healthy poop.
It looks good right?
1357AF51-8183-4E27-9ED2-B6FA646066F2.jpeg

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Are you 100% shure ur dragon is a girl? Looking back at the first picture of the poo, it looks very odd, in this ^ pic there’s a lot of urate, but overall looks okay, was the urate hard or chalky? If yes cut back on his calcium.

dragonscales

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Are you 100% shure ur dragon is a girl? Looking back at the first picture of the poo, it looks very odd, in this ^ pic there’s a lot of urate, but overall looks okay, was the urate hard or chalky? If yes cut back on his calcium.
When I brought her to my vet he said she’s a female. Just making sure: is the urate the white part of the poop?

dragonscales

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
My beardie hasn't eaten or pooped in a week or so. Me being the nervous Nelly I am, I brought her to another vet. My usual vet won't be available til Tuesday. The new vet suggested that my beardie is about to start shedding. He placed a drop of water on his head to see if her skin would absorb the water. And it didn't absorb. My normal vet said she's a she. The new vet said it's a he. Who should I trust?Here's a pic of my beardie. Does he look healthy?His body does look darker than his head.
Is he showing signs of shedding or is he ill?
I don't think he's shedded in more than a couple months. Any help will be great.thanks much.
IMG_20210903_192528450.jpg

dragonscales

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I just tried feeding him cactus and squash both with bee pollen, scrambled eggs, silk worms and crickets. He usually goes in a feeding frenzy for crickets but only ate only one.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I just tried feeding him cactus and squash both with bee pollen, scrambled eggs, silk worms and crickets. He usually goes in a feeding frenzy for crickets but only ate only one.
It is not uncommon for dragons to not poop for a long time by that I mean weeks or even a month --- if your concerned try feeding some canned pumpkin w/ a drop or two of olive oil and drop of honey --- make sure hes hydrated and proper UVB NO coils and proper basking temps taken w/ a digital probe thermometer --- post a pic of the dragons vent toward the camera w/ the tail in the air - have him on a flat surface like a kitchen table

dragonscales

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Hey
It is not uncommon for dragons to not poop for a long time by that I mean weeks or even a month --- if your concerned try feeding some canned pumpkin w/ a drop or two of olive oil and drop of honey --- make sure hes hydrated and proper UVB NO coils and proper basking temps taken w/ a digital probe thermometer --- post a pic of the dragons vent toward the camera w/ the tail in the air - have him on a flat surface like a kitchen table
how ‘bout his shedding. Is it normal to not shed for a month or more? He is about a year though. And I thought dragons get hydrated from the food they eat. If not, how should they be watered? Is this pic good enough?thanks
1757CC5A-A120-4637-8A1C-94504865539E.jpeg

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hey

how ‘bout his shedding. Is it normal to not shed for a month or more? He is about a year though. And I thought dragons get hydrated from the food they eat. If not, how should they be watered? Is this pic good enough?thanksView attachment 29296
place him on a flat surface like a kitchen table but facing the camera w/ the tail in the air - he needs to be flat on the table - dragons get most of their hydration from the greens you feed -- rinse before you serve them so they are wet - gut loaded insects meaning the insects are good and hydrated as well -
Dragons shed in different times and different areas - not all dragons shed all the time they shed most often when they are under a year and as they get older it does tend to slow down -

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Hello, what are signs of impaction?thanks
Not pooping for days & days is a sign of impaction. Causes: Either the temp is off, or u are feeding mealworms which is horrible & impacts them or you have a sand substrate which they ingest & it impacts them, or the feeders & veggies you are feeding are too big, or the UVB has not been changed every 6Mnths. So if feeding mealworms stop asap; it’s a cheap, fatty feeder that impacts them and is horrible for their tummy’s. Remove the sand substrate and use white terry cloth towels and/or paper towels. If the beardie is under 7mnths old make sure the temp is 100-105 if over 7mnths old they like it at 95-98. U need a digital themmoter and digital Hy ginger. Humidity needs to be 30-40 never higher than 40. Use the clear zoomed for heat and the Reptisun 10.0 T5 for uvb. It’s a long tubular bulb and the uvb needs replacing every 6Mnths or he won’t be able to walk, eat or poop & will get MBD. Make sure he has a hideaway. Like under the hammock place a cloth over the hammock & a soft fleece blanket underneath so he can hide when needed. For now give him a bath and rub his tummy downward gently in the bath to get him to poop. Lukewarm water for 15min minimum. All beardies need baths twice per week & more when shedding. Buy Reptisafe to place it in the water to remove the chlorine if you don’t have a water filter system in your home. Feed crickets and Dubia roaches for proteins dusted lightly in calcium powder (repcal) 3-4 times a week once over day and herptivite once/day per week on a non calcium day. And everyday a fresh palate of veggies and greens to munch on all day. Mustard greens, collard greens, dandelions, yellow squash ( loaded I’m calcium), butternut squash, endives, Green beans, snap peas. Cut them up to size; never ever feed anything bigger than the space between his 2 eyes. If he’s over a year old, u can do superworms as treats they are high in fat but very good protein. A few times a week as treats do blueberries, mangoes and papayas. Hope this helps

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Hey

how ‘bout his shedding. Is it normal to not shed for a month or more? He is about a year though. And I thought dragons get hydrated from the food they eat. If not, how should they be watered? Is this pic good enough?thanksView attachment 29296
All beardies need baths twice per week for 15min minimum in lukewarm dechlorinated water. Buy Reptisafe if u dotm have a filter system. Always do more baths when he’s shedding so the shed comes off otherwise it will cut off his circulation. U can help the shed very carefully by rubbing it with a soft cloth or slowly helping it if it’s somewhat falling but lightly or u can hurt him by peeling it.

dragonscales

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Finally it’s been months but my beardie is shedding like my vet said. And in more than a couple weeks he finally pooped. And it’s a hefty poop .Double the usual. And he ate a few mouths full of scrambled eggs as well. First food in more than a week. I’ll keep you guys posted.

Thanks for the replies. Most of what you guys suggested I’m aware of. Not to say say I haven’t learned from what you posted. As far as watering/bathing goes i have well water.
9AA5EB33-7795-46AD-B0CD-A54905AE2F6C.jpeg

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Good news. Her poop made progress. Not as watery but not as solid as it should be. Definitely clumpier though. In the pic below what’s the red part of the poop?
View attachment 28828
The red part is Blood. She needs to lay her eggs ASAp she’s either Gravid or has Coccidia. She needs a fecal test at a reptile vet asap. It’s prolly Coccidia but most importantly she is getting ready to lay eggs!! Please make a lay box get a clear plastic tub from Hope depot and fill it with children’s play sand and an organic top Soil with little to no fertilizer fill it with sand then soil, sand and soil majority being playsand and add lots of water so that it’s digable like a sand to build a sand castle fill it up to the top 2 inches below the top & cover 1/2 the box and place her in it; make sure it’s in a quiet spot and check on her every 30-1hour. I place mine in my bathroom it’s a small comfy area and it’s semi warm. When she’s done laying she will cover all her eggs then oalce her a n the bath towels soak for 15-20 min in lukewarm dechlorinated water because she will be super dehydrated and she needs extra extra extra calcium, protein & veggies/greens. Like 30 large crickets, Dubias and super worms plus her plate of greens/veggies. She will need to be fed and eat like a monster because she’s weak, dehydrated and depleted of all her calcium. So give extra calcium sprinkle it heavier than normal and feed her Alot of protein, & give her lots of water & lots of veggies/greens for two weeks after she lays. Then u can resume back to normal feed tim schedule. She can injure her booty if she can’t lay the eggs; they need to come out ASAP. Here’s a pic of my laybox & what to buy. Get a clear tub; they don’t like black because they can’t see out of it.

Attachments

• 11E29139-1887-4FA7-9EDE-15A19FB215DF.jpeg
    11E29139-1887-4FA7-9EDE-15A19FB215DF.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1
  • 86FAA22B-4383-4F2A-818B-95C339F7D670.jpeg
    86FAA22B-4383-4F2A-818B-95C339F7D670.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1
  • 7285AB7F-CD2B-4792-99F4-66E496C7480D.jpeg
    7285AB7F-CD2B-4792-99F4-66E496C7480D.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 3

dragonscales

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
The red part is Blood. She needs to lay her eggs ASAp she’s either Gravid or has Coccidia. She needs a fecal test at a reptile vet asap. It’s prolly Coccidia but most importantly she is getting ready to lay eggs!! Please make a lay box get a clear plastic tub from Hope depot and fill it with children’s play sand and an organic top Soil with little to no fertilizer fill it with sand then soil, sand and soil majority being playsand and add lots of water so that it’s digable like a sand to build a sand castle fill it up to the top 2 inches below the top & cover 1/2 the box and place her in it; make sure it’s in a quiet spot and check on her every 30-1hour. I place mine in my bathroom it’s a small comfy area and it’s semi warm. When she’s done laying she will cover all her eggs then oalce her a n the bath towels soak for 15-20 min in lukewarm dechlorinated water because she will be super dehydrated and she needs extra extra extra calcium, protein & veggies/greens. Like 30 large crickets, Dubias and super worms plus her plate of greens/veggies. She will need to be fed and eat like a monster because she’s weak, dehydrated and depleted of all her calcium. So give extra calcium sprinkle it heavier than normal and feed her Alot of protein, & give her lots of water & lots of veggies/greens for two weeks after she lays. Then u can resume back to normal feed tim schedule. She can injure her booty if she can’t lay the eggs; they need to come out ASAP. Here’s a pic of my laybox & what to buy. Get a clear tub; they don’t like black because they can’t see out of it.
I have a zen habitats 24x24x48 enclosure. What should the dimensions of the tub be?

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I finally made it to the hardware store and got some ceramic tile. I’m removing the soil,sand,moss mixture. I’m doing a sort of makeover of my terrarium. With the tile it’s going to be much more sanitary. Easier to do poop removal. Is this tile okay? Thanks
View attachment 28708
Tile is food but please ask or Google or read on the products to seal it; etc. A Beardie cannot smell or be in an enclosure with fumes or even fines that are drying or have just dried or any chemicals, etc. It’s very very harmful to them. So unless u have another enclosure to house her while u are tiling and place it in the garage not anywhere near the Beardie. Or make it simple Amd do paper towels or white terry cloth towels it’s great. And super duper sanitary. Here’s a pic

Attachments

• 4A44D4E4-9409-496E-B427-E20895E875AE.jpeg
    4A44D4E4-9409-496E-B427-E20895E875AE.jpeg
    796.5 KB · Views: 4

dragonscales

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Hello. I was at the vet recently and we took a pic of her vent. Is this a good pic of it?

3FA929DC-D73F-4DCF-85DC-209A2919CA54.jpeg

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Hello. I was at the vet recently and we took a pic of her vent. Is this a good pic of it?

View attachment 29430
Unfortunately no,… atleast for me, we need to see about 2 inch above the butt, and him/her pooping far in between like this is odd, can you tell us again what foods the dragon gets regularly? Something is causing it to take long like this, and sorry if we go over board with information, we dont know anyones Experience with reptiles so we all just assume :(

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I never thought I’d be happy about poop but it looks like a healthy poop.
It looks good right?
View attachment 29001
Rule of thumb keep the cage super duper duper clean. We reacue and rehome and I can’t stress this enuff. Use chlorohexadine mixed with water u can order from Carolina cages on Amazon & they will tell u the water to solution ratio. It’s safe and kills all bacteria. That poop looks dried up like it’s been sitting for a while. Always make sure u clean it up asap they hate the poop sitting in their tank. The white is the urate(pee) if it’s ever yellow or beige he’s either dehydrated or you are over sprinkling the calcium. The dark part is the poop & if its runny means the temp is off, use a digital thermometer & an infrared Gun u shine it an inch away from the basking platform to get the exact accuracy. Sometimes it gets so hot u need to shut off the zoomed heat lamp for 5-10min or so then turn it back on. And always replace the UVB light every 6Mnths!! Or another cause of runny poop means has a parasite tyoically Coccidia which is like lice in the tummy/cage & is deadly and he needs a vet asap for a fecal test and to burn and sanitize the entire cage in hot water and ammonia but a small amount and burn it again it’s a long process plus the Meds from the vet. Also anywhere or anything the Beardie touched or walked on needs to be carpet cleaned or steam cleaned & all clothes burned in hot water etc.

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I have a zen habitats 24x24x48 enclosure. What should the dimensions of the tub be?
The tub u buy will be placed in a cozy room or comfy small bathroom and place the Beardie in it. Also cover half the tub so she feels safe and can dig underneath the lid if she wants; it serves as a roof over her head for safety & she has the option to dig on the open side as well. Attached are photos. Check on her every 30min to an hour sometimes it takes 4-5 hours sometimes all day. Make it so it’s jump proof & hurt proof; so pillows all around it so she doesn’t hurt herself if she gets out. U monitor her for 10min or so hopefully she starts digging. Buy a clear tub from Home Depot 1 Foot high by 2feet in length by 1.5 feet wide. And mix the play sand & soil use more sand and keep pouring cups of water till it’s sand castle mushy after she’s done laying let her cover them all up wait till she’s totally done and then soak in the bath rite away for 15-20min. Lots of water, extra calcium once per day, tons of extra protein and veggies for 2weeks then go back to normal food schedule.

Attachments

• 7A724D9B-A33E-401E-936B-5F4F562CCC29.jpeg
    7A724D9B-A33E-401E-936B-5F4F562CCC29.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1
  • 0142930F-4DEC-4039-BD26-B07AE0C83DF4.jpeg
    0142930F-4DEC-4039-BD26-B07AE0C83DF4.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts