• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

I'm worried... My little guy doesn't eat much

Jaclynariana

Bearded Dragon Egg
I've had my bearded dragon for two months now. He was about 3 months old. He doesn't eat like he should. At first he would eat around 5 superworms and now he literally eats maybe 2 or 3 every couple of days. He doesn't like crickets, like he won't go after them. If they come to him he'll eat it but he seems to like his worms more. I want to start a dubia colony but I don't know if he'll like them. I keep putting greens out for him but he won't eat it until they are dried out. Another kind of strange thing is that he HATES it if I watch him eat. Seriously, he'll just stare at me until I go away and then he might eat 1 or 2 but more often then not he just goes back to his cave and sleeps. He spends most if not all day hiding in his little cave. Unfortunately, I'm moving tomorrow and I know that is stressful and they don't eat much when stressed. What do I do though? Any tips on how to move without stressing him out too much? I don't want him to lose weight. He doesn't seem like he's lost weight but I know he supposed to eat way more especially because he is still growing. He has a basking spot and the correct lighting and temperatures. I've been do a lot of reading on here to make sure that I'm giving him the best care I can but I don't know what to do about him not wanting to eat. I'd be grateful for any advice or suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Elemental Dragon Lord

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Give him a warm bath, he should poop and possibly drink water which is good. Then after he is dry take him for some natural sunlight. If this doesn't work to make home more active you should go to a vet. As far as greens he won't eat them until larger most likely. Sometimes beardies go through self specialized diets. It's a pain but they do it, I had a girl who wouldn't eat anything but dubia for awhile.

Jaclynariana

Bearded Dragon Egg
I just learned last week that I need to give him baths and he didn't like it. He doesn't like being handled at all actually. I'll do it for his benefit though. I've never taken him outside in the sun so I'll try that. He poops regularly and I do have a water bowl for him and I've caught him drinking a couple times. He's about 5 months old now, when should he start eating greens? I don't mind if he's picky, I just want him to be healthy.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Like Dragon Lord said, give him a warm bath. Let him soak real good, gently rub his belly on the right side from his armpit down to his vent to help get things flowing. Drip water on his nose to get him to drink. Some are really picky eaters and mine too went through a faze where he didn't want to chase crickets and would maybe eat one if they walked in front of him. He's being better about it now. Have you tried feeding him a worm that doesn't have a shell, such as phoenix (calci) worms or wax worms or something like that? It's possible that he may be a little dehydrated and the chitlin on the supers is being hard on his stomach.

Also, some HATE to be watched while they eat. I think they are more interested in what we are doing than eating. So put the food in and walk away for 15 minutes. He could also probably sense something is going on in the house. I'm sure you are packing and there is a lot more noise than usual, he can pick up on that and he's probably scared.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Some may never really start eating their greens. My almost 2 year old used to always eat them when she was younger and now won't touch anything I put in front of her. My 8 month old however will eat the whole bowl!

Jaclynariana

Bearded Dragon Egg
I haven't tried different worms yet. I don't know where to get Phoenix worms but I'll go to the pet and see what I can find. I want to try dubia as well, maybe he'll like them.

Jaclynariana

Bearded Dragon Egg
He handled the move okay. I got waxworms for him today and he LOVED them. Only problem is that I know I can't feed him those all the time. Can Phoenix worms be fed as a staple? Do you think that he'll like dubia if he's picky?

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I would try the dubia, your guy is still small so they may get him interested in hunting again. They are quick little buggers!

Jaclynariana

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hey guys, I just wanted to let you know that after lots of research and asking a bunch of questions to everyone I possibly could I got I strip light and raised the basking lamp so it wasn't so hot. Apparently he likes cooler temperatures. His heat lamp also puts out uvb rays but I didn't realise that it wasn't enough. Anyways, my little guy is now out of his little cave most of the time. He is much more active now and he is eating like he should be. He's a much happier dragon. Thanks. :)

Latest posts