• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

I'm looking to buy a dual(?) timer.

LTMets44

Hatchling Dragon
I am not sure if this has been asked before or if I posted it in the right section. I tried to search for forgive me if I'm asking a redundant question.

I am looking to purchase a timer that works kind of like a dual timer. I want it to turn the UV and Day Heat bulbs on and off at the same time, and I want it to turn to the Night Heat light on and off at the opposite time. Does this make sense? Is there anything out there that is recommended?

Thank you

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
To start with, night heat\light is generally not needed, recommended or wanted. Lights of any color, red, purple, blue, moon glo, black, any color will bother most BD's sleep. BDs should be allowed to cool at night, slows their metabolism down for a good night's sleep. The only time night heat may be necessary, is if your ambient room temps drop below the mid to low 60s F at night. If you happen to live in an igloo & this is the case when measured with an accurate thermometer at night, then a CHE (Ceramic Heat Emitter) should be used for night heat, as it provides heat with no light emitted & it should be on a dimmer or thermostatically controlled to just take the edge off so the temps stay just above these temps.

As for a timer unit with the functions that you desire with multiple plugs on separate timers, this is an example of a unit that will do the job.
http://www.zilla-rules.com/products/specialty-equipment/247-digital-timer-power-center.htm
9058_200wh.jpg
2 separate timers found very inexpensive at your local big box hardware store, like Lowes, Home Depot, Walmart, etc, will also do the job just as well.

Good Luck

LTMets44

Hatchling Dragon
Interesting information Germ. I know that in the winter, my house gets really cold. I typically don't use the heat in my house because I am more of a cold weather fan. When I had my BD years ago, I was told to stay away from the "rock" heaters or heating pads because they can burn the underside of the BD. I know I have been out of the game for a few years so I'm guessing I was either given false information, or the products have advanced in my absence.

Just to give you a little more detail about the enclosure that I have. It was a gift along with Gotham. It was a BD Combo 20 gallon tank the came with the UV light and a double spot light, one for Day and one for Night.

It came with a thermometer strip that I placed on the left side bottom of the tank. (Cool side). That thermometer usually has a temp or 82° during the day.

I know I need to put a thermometer on the Hot side too but should this be placed on the top (hottest), middle, or bottom of the tank?

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Those thermometers are not suited for this type of application at all & are designed for fish tanks full of water & are not all that accurate in that application either. They will give you the temp of the Glass, which is affected as much by the outside ambient room temps as the inside enclosure environment, therefore Highly inaccurate. The type of thermometer that must be used is a Digital thermometer with a probe\sensor that you can attach or place directly at the Basking Spot (110F) giving you constant surveillance of that temp & another on the cool side with the sensor at the coolest point (80-85F) in the enclosure, generally the floor area furthest from the heat bulb. These accurately measured temps & heat gradient are a must for your BDs health, wellbeing & for your BD to digest it's food properly. It is imperative that you acquire accurate thermometers & get your temps in these ranges ASAP.

I used to use indoor\outdoor thermometers for years that worked very well. Using the 'Outside' Temp remote sensor attached to the Basking Spot & the main unit Velcro mounted, to keep it insulated from & off the glass, low to the floor on the cool side. As shown in the following pic ...

TEMPS011Text800x600.jpg

If you have a 2 piece top or front opening that will give you access without moving the lights, an infrared thermometer can be used to get accurate temps if used properly.
Infrared Thermometers - Temp Guns

Example of a Basic Setup: Showing the recommended Basic requirements, proper Temperatures & the points at which they should be measured from, in Red & the optional choices that are actually used in this particular example enclosure, in Black.​

BDsetup-1.jpg
What type, brand & strength UVB bulb are you using?

Good Luck

LTMets44

Hatchling Dragon
Wow, I had a feeling that the generic "starter tank & accessories" was not adequate for my BD's needs. That makes me want to ask one more question. The UV light fixture that it came with does not cover the entire lid of the tank. The light fixture itself covers half of the lid. Is this adequate or do I need a larger light? Also, do they sell those thermometers with the probe in pets stores like Petco or Pet Smart? or can I order off of Amazon or something.

Sorry for the lack of knowledge and thank you for the amazing information you have provided thus far. I want to keep Gotham around Health and Happy for as long as I possibly can.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The UVB must cover the basking spot, along side the heat bulb, because if your temps are setup properly, that is where your BD will spend the majority of it's time, basking to get the heat needed to digest it's food. It sounds like your light fixture will work well as the BD should be able to get out of the UVB also, should it feel the need to, in the shade so to speak, in this case the cool side. You need to be sure that the BD can get close enough to the UVB bulb when on the Basking Spot that is in the vicinity of 110F, to be effective, particularly if it is placed above the screen. A minimum 10.0 (10%) UVB bulb is generally what should be used at a distance of 8-10" from the Basking Spot or it is basically useless & ineffective. UVB has a very limited radiation distance, effective useable UVB does not reach out as far as the visible light does. If using a linear tube type UVB, it should be setup so that the center portions of the bulb is covering the basking spot, there is very little UVB emitted off of the end tips.
Germ said:
What type, brand & strength UVB bulb are you using?
Good Luck

LTMets44

Hatchling Dragon
Thank you. You have provided me with more than enough information. I will have to go home and do an Extreme Makeover to Gotham's tank or Gotham City as I call it. :)

As far as the digital thermometers with the probe. Would the pet shops have them?

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yes, Buddha has mentioned that often basically the same thermometer found in the reptile section for $15, can also be found in the fish section for $9 at stores like Petsmart etc. Walmart has them in the pet\fish section also if I am not mistaken. Thermometers similar to this work well ...
Therm001.jpg

LTMets44

Hatchling Dragon
Once again, I cannot thank you enough. It seems like joining this forum was the smartest thing I have done. :)

LTMets44

Hatchling Dragon
Update: Forgive me if I'm being a pain. I just want to make sure I got this right. Looking for opinions. The "cool" side reads a steady 80.5. The "hot" side started jumping all over the place, but now it has settled between 106 and 108.

d9DCO.jpg

Z0ied.jpg

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I can't find any of these digital thermometers anywhere in Home Depot, Lowes, or my local Walmart. They've got those stick on ones there. I'll try a Super Walmart in Dalton, GA when I go for some crickies. :)

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
That's the right type of thermometer, just make sure you stick the probe on the hot side on the actual basking spot. So... that would be the log, directly under the basking light it looks like. You would be amazed how much difference that will make, and you want to make sure you're not getting your temps too high! It can be quite dangerous for your baby.

LTMets44

Hatchling Dragon
Aleena, would you recommend resting the probe on the log or somehow fastening it to the log?

Thanks

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
If you can, rest it there. If that's not possible, depending on the dragon it may or may not leave it be, you can fasten it with something. A twist tie or something non plastic would work best since it's right under the light and you don't want the plastic fumes being released and harming your dragon.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
You have a baby BD. No BDs under 10" long should be an a particle substrate of any kind. I could be wrong but that also looks like it could very well be Calci-Sand :eek: .

LTMets44

Hatchling Dragon
I am going to attach it to the log tomorrow. Gotham is sound asleep right now.

I could be wrong but that also looks like it could very well be Calci-Sand :eek: .

You are correct Germ. I didn't know that was bad until you send me the links earlier today. I will change that out tomorrow as well.

Geez, I raised 2 BD's (Zeke & Spikey) that lasted 10 years and I feel like such a noob right now.

It's been years since they passed but I continue to learn.

Thanks.

Latest posts