• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

I need some advice from some long term owners

Knoteb

Hatchling Dragon
Until the 30th of October 2014, I had 3 senior beardies. I adopted them from a no-kill shelter 3 years ago. On 10-30-14 I lost one of my females and 3-10-15 I lost my male. I now just have 1 female left. I know it's been just a day but my female won't eat. They have always lived together. They started out at a school until they lost funding and then 3 years at the rescue. No my sweet Sparky is alone. Is this something she will come out of or do I need to consider finding another senior to come be with her?

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
So sorry for your losses. Sorry I don't have any experience in this matter to answer your question. Everything tells us they are solitary animals that shouldn't be housed together but then you read so many stories about how they have lived together for years and got along. I guess it's possible that she could be mourning the loss of her tank mates. I don't know though if getting another senior would make her feel better since she was with the other ones for so many years. Maybe so extra loving from you will help her get out of her funk.

:(

Knoteb

Hatchling Dragon
Thanks Patsy for your advice. Sparky still doesn't want to eat but she's eliminating waste so I think she's okay for now. It's strange how you know when you get them that it's going to be a short time but it's still so shocking when they go.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
:( They grow on you so quickly. I see it when people meet Dexter for the first time, there's just this happiness that comes over them.

I hope your girl starts eating again soon.

Andyurgay

Hatchling Dragon
I've never gone through this with beardies, not really anyway. A few years ago we rescued 4 beardies in really rough shape from a person in the neighborhood. They had all been together in a 20 gallon tank since they were bought, two had MBD so advanced, they were crippled by it, one had such bad eye infections from sand that she never fully recovered. The other two were relatively healthy. When the two sicker ones passed, the other two just kept on trucking and we still have them. It didn't seem to phase them.

On the other hand, I've had rats that became severely depressed after losing a sibling or friend. But then, rats are super social and affectionate so the loss of one is pretty hard on them. Not saying it can't be the same with reptiles, just that I never saw it. The thing though was introducing another rat did not make them happy again, because it wasn't one they has grown up with. In some cases it helps, in others, it doesn't. With beardies, who are solitary by nature, I think introducing another, even another senior, would just cause more stress to an already aging beardie. Maybe just a little more love and attention would be enough for her.

If you really wanted to, and had the ability, maybe adopt another senior, set them up in a tank next to the current girl and see how they react, just to gauge it. I really only worry about how your girl would do but how the new adoptee would do, considering they may have been alone their whole lives. But its worth a shot if you will it will bring her out of her funk.

Also, good on you for rescuing and also, rescuing seniors at that. That takes a huuuge heart knowing they will only be with you a short time and how bonded you will become in that time. Thank you! Those are some truly lucky beardies

Latest posts