• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Howdy!

Reefgal

Bearded Dragon Egg
15 years ago I raised a male beardie named Jammer. He was a plain grey dragon who ate me out of house and home while he was growing up. I recently met citrus dragons and fell in love with one. Now I have two citrus baby girls. Here's a picture of them in their bath.

image.jpg

I figured a beardie forum was a good resource. I'm a reef tank keeper (I have a 220 gallon, 13 year old mixed hard and soft coral reef), I breed crested geckos and have a veiled chameleon. It seems some recommendations have changed since I raised Jammer.

What is the most important thing you would tell a baby dragon parent? (Besides no walnut shells! )

Thanks,
Sandy

image.jpg

Here's my baby Buttercup.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Augie

Juvenile Dragon
Most important thing? Invest an hour or two reading these forums. Seriously, that's what I did. Reviewed all the stickied posts. Then a little later I asked a few questions. I also bought a book called Bearded Dragons, by Philip Purser. In a few threads here you'll see mods posting links to helpful guides. I'd read them all. It's the only way you'll be able to learn all the updated info, to forget all the stuff that is no longer relevant, and to integrate all you need to properly care for your BEAUTIFUL dragons!

Oh. Where are my manners? Welcome to the forums. :D

sean8172

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I would take serious consideration of the link Germ posted about cohabitation. I saw it, read it...read it again and thought "I'm sure those are rare cases. Letting them stay together can't be THAT bad." I could not have been MORE wrong, and think myself lucky that neither of my beardies for seriously injured. Long story short...DO NOT HOUSE THEM TOGETHER. Just...don't...do it! I beg you. Mine were together for over a month. They got along fine, even shared the basking site, food, everything. One day I was watching them. They went from just laying around, relaxed, to tumbling of the hammock together. If I hadn't been watching them, I'm sure I would be posting my own awful cohabitation pictures. Aussie had Autumn's entire foot in his mouth. I'm positive that if I didn't respond as quickly as I did, I would have a footless dragon. If you don't have room, or don't want to have another enclosure, please....PLEASE, I beg of you, find one of them another home. Really. Please. Just don't keep them together. You WILL regret it. Maybe not today or tomorrow, but something very very bad will happen, eventually.

Reefgal

Bearded Dragon Egg
As I have never been one to ignore the advice of experienced reptile keepers, I have put a divider in the terrarium. I will most likely set up another terrarium for one of the girls. In the meantime, worry not sean8172. My girls are safe from one another. Thanks for your concern.

sean8172

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
My concern wouldn't be one of not for Germ, and this forum. I appreciate you thanking me, but if you want to thank someone, thank Germ. ;)

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Welcome to BDF! I'd have to reiterate the no cohabitation advice lol but you've already taken care of that and Germ has given you some great links to check out.

Latest posts