• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

how to make my bd to eat veggies and greens?

Status
Not open for further replies.

napoleon

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
my bd is 12 inch long, 10 months old, its been with me for about a week and i cant make him eat any veggies, greens or fruit, just crickets, please, do you have any suggestions?

JohnBoy28

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
They're a little expensive, but get some super worms and mix it with the veggies/greens. The worms moving with the greens will give the illusion that the veggies are "alive" and moving. And when they miss a worm, they'll get a mouthful of greens instead. That might help.

lunastic

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
This happens a lot that I've seen. They get tired of their routines. Some people complain about them not eating any cricks at all! So yes mixing in the worms will be a nice solution. To avoid bds getting tired of things you should mix up their diets often...but not so radically!

TheWolfmanTom

Dragon Breeder
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
On a dragon that young I would avoid super worms, However You may want to try some wax worms or pheonix worms in the greens instead. But try to watch the intake on thoose they are more of a treat. Go to www.beautifuldragons.com and check out nutritional info there is a great list of dos and donts for food stuff.

KAJA

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Search around the forum, there are a few other posts on this topic. Some have suggested hand feeding them some greens to achieve the movement JohnBoy suggested.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Mealworms are not recommended for bearded dragons. As you said, FidgetMidget, their bodies are hard and difficult for any bearded dragon to break down. And we all know what this leads to - impaction. :(

BJ

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Not an expert on anything to do with beardies but i had trouble getting my young beardie to eat any veg. I used to make a wonderful mix of all the reported favs but to no avail. So i just started offering 3 types of veg at a time separated in their own piles on his dish and then sprayed with water (the water seemed to be a positive thing), all of a sudden he decided that carrot was an absolute favourite closely followed by broccolli. He doesn't eat a lot but i usually give him veg in morning then crickets at night. Putting my finger in the veg and agitating it slightly also attracted his attention and once he tried it he thought it was ok.
Hope this helps

BJ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts