• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

How to feed roaches to dragon

Angela

Hatchling Dragon
Hey guys!

Okay. I'm doing it. Im getting over my fear of roaches and I'm going to work on switching Quixote over to a dubia roach diet for his staple protein. I just keep reading more and more about the benefits of the dubias and I want him to be as happy and healthy as possible so....takin' a big breath and doing this thing!

I did find a local place that sells dubias and I bought 10 little ones just to see if I can do it. And I think if I mentally tell myself they are just rolypolys that I might be able to get by. :p

haha, anyways, to the question -

I got a little feeder bowl for them that the guy recommended that they can't crawl out of. I put a few dubias in it last night. It looks like Quixote ate one but the rest are still in there (3 more).

So my question is - do you just leave your dubias in the feeder bowl and your dragon snacks on them whenever they want? Or do you have a specific feeding time and if he doesn't eat them in the allotted time then you put the rest away? Do you refill the bowl when its empty just to keep some protein available to him or do you have a specific amount a day you give your dragon? Or would it be better to put him in his little tupperware and put the roaches in there with him (like we do when feeding crickets) and do the whole "what he can eat in 15 minutes is good" thing?

Thanks for the feedback!

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yea I'm not a big fan of the roaches but I have a colony of them I still have to resist the urge to fling them across the room when they won't come off my hand :) But you get better with time..
With any feeding you want to make sure you do it min of 2 hours before lights out as they have to have time under the lights to digest and process their food.
I feed Izzy her Dubia and any super's I give 1 time a day I use a glass dish from petco that keep them in there except the adults (sometimes they crawl on the greens and get out but I find them when I clean her tank or she finds them) You should leave them in there for 15-20 min, when Izzy was his age she would eat them all in a couple of min! Now that she's bigger and still kinda brumating she picks on them off and on.. But her greens are in there all day.
Dubia are awesome feeders!

Angela

Hatchling Dragon
With keeping greens in there, I'm having an issue with them drying out really fast. How do you keep your greens from going crispy in a matter of an hour?

also, with regards to dusting the Dubias - I have just been putting a pinch of Fluker's Calcium with Vitamin D3. I couldn't find anywhere of a specific amount of calcium they should be getting a day (ie: one teaspoon a day or such). So how much powder do you usually dust with?

also, Ive been reading varying reports. Some say you should dust every day. Some say every other day. Some say alternate with dusting with calcium and vitamins.... What's the correct way to do it?

and since the powder already has Vitamin D3 in it, does that count as his vitamin or should I get a separate vitamin powder? and do yu have a recommendation?

bookac

Hatchling Dragon
They are easy to get used to it :) I purchase yesterday 100 small sized dubias, and i am picking them up with my hand..
And the secret for my courage is that i have Red Runner roaches, and they are much uglier, faster, and creapy looking bugs, that i only pick them with tweezers. So i can say that dubias are realy cute, and u will get used to them really fast :)

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
With keeping greens in there, I'm having an issue with them drying out really fast. How do you keep your greens from going crispy in a matter of an hour?

also, with regards to dusting the Dubias - I have just been putting a pinch of Fluker's Calcium with Vitamin D3. I couldn't find anywhere of a specific amount of calcium they should be getting a day (ie: one teaspoon a day or such). So how much powder do you usually dust with?

also, Ive been reading varying reports. Some say you should dust every day. Some say every other day. Some say alternate with dusting with calcium and vitamins.... What's the correct way to do it?

and since the powder already has Vitamin D3 in it, does that count as his vitamin or should I get a separate vitamin powder? and do yu have a recommendation?
Take a look at the links below several of our signature lines we have come up with a ton of info and supplements is part of the general care one so take a look at that it's all laid out.
I have Izzy's salad on her cool side so it's not under her heat lamps I also spritz it couple times a day when it's looking dry.

firehawk0285

Bearded Dragon Egg
Congrats on joining the dubia club. You will never look back. Lol. I usually leave the roaches in a bin they can't get out of and place my beardie near them. When my beardie got bigger, I would sometimes dangle the roach in front of them and they'd eat it from my hand. I do calcium 5 times a week and vitamins twice a week. Be careful about too much D3 in your calcium. It can have negative effects. If you need a source for dubia roaches, check out discountdubias.com. Great prices.

Latest posts