• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

How Smart ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harley D

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Hello all,

Silly question...how smart are beardies, the reason is that Harley comes out everynight right after dinner to run and get some cuddle time....we have noticed that the last 2 nights right around that time he starts to act strange...he does little head bobs and runs in circles almost like he is trying to get our attention. Once he is out....he is a very happy little guy...

Just to add I cannot believe what personalities these guys have !!!!

So my question is...how smart are they ??

Laurie

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi, Laurie. It is said that all reptiles are actually smart creatures. I don't know of any studies performed on the intelligence of bearded dragons, but it has been said that beardies are exceptionally smart and can learn routines.

There are different types of head bobbing. It sounds like Harley was displaying a bit of dominance by trying to get your attention because he knew it was time to come out and explore.

Yep, these guys are quite fun to have around. Most lizards just hand out, but our bearded dragons are packed with antics....

brasshandle

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
hello,laurie,marley gets to come out at 5 when i finish work,he comes down from his log an goes to the front of his tank.we have a background witch we place against the window were he sits an watches the world go by an he loves it.he also knows when its weekend as he gets his red apple an gets attiention instead of being on his own all day. i think beardes learn routine. i also think ive gone on a bit ,sorry i get ca :-X :-Xrried away.love brasshandle

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yes, Brasshandle. Beardies love to interact and watch their humans. It's a bit of an irony because they are known to typically not get along together. So, they are not social with their own kind but are social with their humans. That's why bearded dragons make great pets!

Harley D

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
I am starting to see all the wonderful things about beardies, so funny though I will tell stories at work and they all look at me like I am crazy !!!!

I rescued him for my husband....but is quickly becoming very attached to me and my youngest daughter, Mike is home all day....so trust me he is getting plently of time with all of us...

I think it is pretty much safe to say....we have a very spoiled beardie ;D

Laurie

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
They are a unique and wonderful pet. I have friends who don't get why we were so attached to Bernie. They don't view reptiles and cute and cuddly. However, when visitors came to our house, the first place most went was to check on Bernie.

Hats off to you for rescuing Harley. It is very good natured to rescue an animal from a horrible situation. I've rescued all the dogs that have been in my life. Two from a shelter and one from going to the pound. She was the runt of the litter and the owners could not find a home for her.

Anyway, I'm glad you are enjoying Harley. Beardies are so much fun to have around!

beardielover

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
i think dragons are very intelligent! gertrude knows when her crickets are coming. she'll stalk me as i am preparing to drop them in her viv! she'll also find them in the farthest nook and cranny. there is no hiding from her when it comes to eating her crickets...

beardielover

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
you are welcome! ;D
there's a bunch of catch phrases and stuff that you'll pick up on in no time.

BeardedBob

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I have also read that it they are so receptive to their environment. That is why they are said to be so good with kids as they are dosile and take to the care of their owners very well. If you often have them relax with you, they will like to relax with you etc.

Mine sometimes squabbles when getting taken out of his viv but then squabbles when you try to put him back in because he isn't done playing! Kids! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts