• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

How often do beardies shed?

Harley D

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Hello all,

Just when I think I cannot ask anymore questions...so here I go again...

How often do they shed...as Harley has been shedding off and on for the last 2 months...and it is going through different parts of her body...she is now shedding on her head when just about 2 weeks ago it already shed?

All is normal with her needs and is not showing any different behaviors..

Thanks again
Laurie

TheWolfmanTom

Dragon Breeder
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi Laurie,
The speed at which they shed it based on how quikly they grow. There is no set time table at all. Younger dragons tend to shed more do to growth spurts.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I think shedding is a good thing and really doesn't set off any alarms for me. If she is shedding her head again in a short bit of time, I guess Harley is getting a big head with all the attention your family gives her!

Seriously, as Tom points out, the more they grow, the more they shed. So, as a general rule of thumb, younger beardies shed A LOT. They have a lot of growing to do.

While, adult beardies tend to shed in parts and less often. I've read that an adult will shed about 3-4 times per year. But if a beardie sheds more or less than that, I don't think it is anything to worry about. Again, it's based on averages and you have some at the low end and some at the high end....

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
They look grayer, or lighter depending on what color they are to start with. Here are some pictures of my boys pre shed. Hope this helps.
IMG_0047.jpg

Yardley from around 3 months ago.

Oops, I thought I had taken some current photos of Orion and his milk mustache as well as Yardleys'. But you can see the lighter coloring, almost gray on Yardley.He is a sunfire x by the way.

When they are ready to shed, it won't come off, normally in a whole body shed, but in piece meal, like head, then tail, then legs, then body, for instance.
Hope this helps out !
Janie.

Latest posts