• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

How much food?

bburdie

Bearded Dragon Egg
Sadie helped me to be sure I had everything my beardie needed and that was great…hoping for help here too.

We think Sal is between 2 and 3 months based on size(14g). We offer food 3-4 times a day. We have to chop the dubia roaches into 1/4’s because they are huge. Sal eats no more than half of one plus a couple medium size crickets per day. Those roaches are definitely a lot more meaty than a lanky cricket. We just got the new light set up 2 days ago. Sal looks great and is active, basks well and goes to the food dish whenever it is set inside the cage, poops look good and are daily. Veggies and fruit are offered every feeding but so far, it never looks touched at all. I tried to introduce fruit/veggies by putting a teeny tiny drop of kale my smoothie on the tip of my finger and let it warm, Sal licked that off but that is it as far as I know the other stuff has not been touched. Should I be concerned about the amount being eaten since he runs right over to the dish and eats every time we offer it? Secondary question…is it okay to feed canned roaches or crickets?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Sadie helped me to be sure I had everything my beardie needed and that was great…hoping for help here too.

We think Sal is between 2 and 3 months based on size(14g). We offer food 3-4 times a day. We have to chop the dubia roaches into 1/4’s because they are huge. Sal eats no more than half of one plus a couple medium size crickets per day. Those roaches are definitely a lot more meaty than a lanky cricket. We just got the new light set up 2 days ago. Sal looks great and is active, basks well and goes to the food dish whenever it is set inside the cage, poops look good and are daily. Veggies and fruit are offered every feeding but so far, it never looks touched at all. I tried to introduce fruit/veggies by putting a teeny tiny drop of kale my smoothie on the tip of my finger and let it warm, Sal licked that off but that is it as far as I know the other stuff has not been touched. Should I be concerned about the amount being eaten since he runs right over to the dish and eats every time we offer it? Secondary question…is it okay to feed canned roaches or crickets?
Fresh everything is best- live insects are best- where are you getting your insects? Fruits should be fed occasionally - I recommend you stay w/ the roaches- did you get the uvb set up for your tank? Screen makes a difference to where it goes

bburdie

Bearded Dragon Egg
Fresh everything is best- live insects are best- where are you getting your insects? Fruits should be fed occasionally - I recommend you stay w/ the roaches- did you get the uvb set up for your tank? Screen makes a difference to where it goes
TY…yes we got it set up and the long tube is definitely brighter and nicer than the twisted bulb which gave off barely any visible light and it is secure yet no screen to block the UV.

We have tried two sources nearby for crickets and we even bought flukers and a special container but both places left us with more dead crickets than were fed within two days time. We had been feeding a piece of canned dubia and cricket everyday so that we are sure they will be eaten in case we can’t get him any but neither place sells dubia roaches or bsfl so we will look elsewhere close by for them before we try mail ordering. When we do find them, no telling how big they will be!

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
TY…yes we got it set up and the long tube is definitely brighter and nicer than the twisted bulb which gave off barely any visible light and it is secure yet no screen to block the UV.

We have tried two sources nearby for crickets and we even bought flukers and a special container but both places left us with more dead crickets than were fed within two days time. We had been feeding a piece of canned dubia and cricket everyday so that we are sure they will be eaten in case we can’t get him any but neither place sells dubia roaches or bsfl so we will look elsewhere close by for them before we try mail ordering. When we do find them, no telling how big they will be!
Try this website www.dubiaroaches.com - go by their chart on the website for size-- I can also post some more sites for you tomorrow morning

bburdie

Bearded Dragon Egg
Try this website www.dubiaroaches.com - go by their chart on the website for size-- I can also post some more sites for you tomorrow morning
Will be ordering if I find none locally. Husband will be getting crickets till we find them. Any idea of how long it usually takes to get the mailorder roches and if they are hardier than crickets as far as not dying in 2 days time?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Will be ordering if I find none locally. Husband will be getting crickets till we find them. Any idea of how long it usually takes to get the mailorder roches and if they are hardier than crickets as far as not dying in 2 days time?
Most places are pretty fast - I order all my roaches from the website I posted -- they are cheaper on line and dont die off as fast as crickets
Set up a 10 gallon aquarium order like 200 of them get some dubia food along w/ dubia dew and feed them at night to gut load them and you can also feed what you feed the dragon - just dont feed both carrots feed one or the other - too much B
Vit A -- you will hve orange urate - here are some more websites
www.aafeeders.com
www.reptilianarts.com
www.symtonbsf.com
https://flukerfarms.com/crickets-live-feeder-insects/

bburdie

Bearded Dragon Egg
Most places are pretty fast - I order all my roaches from the website I posted -- they are cheaper on line and dont die off as fast as crickets
Set up a 10 gallon aquarium order like 200 of them get some dubia food along w/ dubia dew and feed them at night to gut load them and you can also feed what you feed the dragon - just dont feed both carrots feed one or the other - too much B
Vit A -- you will hve orange urate - here are some more websites
www.aafeeders.com
www.reptilianarts.com
www.symtonbsf.com
https://flukerfarms.com/crickets-live-feeder-insects/
TY for that. Maybe we can get veggies into this baby by gut loading the roaches with them since he won't touch them otherwise, lol. Hubby is going to the other place after work today to check...if they don't have any then we will have to mail order them or he will be making phone calls to all the other local pet shops. Strange that everybody sells beardies and yet no one carries food other than crickets.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
TY for that. Maybe we can get veggies into this baby by gut loading the roaches with them since he won't touch them otherwise, lol. Hubby is going to the other place after work today to check...if they don't have any then we will have to mail order them or he will be making phone calls to all the other local pet shops. Strange that everybody sells beardies and yet no one carries food other than crickets.
Please get him some bsfl from symtonbsf or dubia roaches called nutrigrubs on their site- use as salad lures drop in front of him on his salads-

bburdie

Bearded Dragon Egg
They did have dubia roaches that were small size...I cannot believe they were small enough! The canned ones were at least 10X the size if these...Sal immediately ate 5! Will offer a couple more times today...or at least one more time, it is 1 p.m. here. They are hideous bugs but I am glad Sal likes them.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
They did have dubia roaches that were small size...I cannot believe they were small enough! The canned ones were at least 10X the size if these...Sal immediately ate 5! Will offer a couple more times today...or at least one more time, it is 1 p.m. here. They are hideous bugs but I am glad Sal likes them.
That is good but I am sure they were spendy -- please look at the websites I posted and go from there - they are going to be cheaper on line -- you can also get him super worms and horn worms - the horn worms are a good hydrating worm and grow very fast so you will need to feed off quickly so they dont out grow him

bburdie

Bearded Dragon Egg
Have you ever bought live foods from Amazon? My husband was looking on there this morning and said that Joshs Frogs is one of the places that sells there. They even have the different sized dubia roaches. He ordered from the link you suggested dubiaroaches.com(50 ct.) but says next time he may order from Amazon instead. Surprisingly, the ones he bought at the pet store were priced close to the ones from dubiaroaches.com. Trouble is, it is several miles from here and we live in an area of extreme traffic...I figured he'd cave in to ordering online after a few trips out to that pet store but I wasn't expecting he would after just one trip.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Have you ever bought live foods from Amazon? My husband was looking on there this morning and said that Joshs Frogs is one of the places that sells there. They even have the different sized dubia roaches. He ordered from the link you suggested dubiaroaches.com(50 ct.) but says next time he may order from Amazon instead. Surprisingly, the ones he bought at the pet store were priced close to the ones from dubiaroaches.com. Trouble is, it is several miles from here and we live in an area of extreme traffic...I figured he'd cave in to ordering online after a few trips out to that pet store but I wasn't expecting he would after just one trip.
I don't remember ordering from Amazon - I usually order from the websites I posted - winter time I have the post office hold my insects - I live in MN so we have extreme temps-- I would stay w/ direct websites for your insects -

Latest posts