• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

How long can I keep my Beardie out of his vivarium?

Chester the Beardie

Bearded Dragon Egg
My Beardie, Chester is 12 months old, he loves being with the family and wants to be out of his Vivarium with us all the time we are home. He is able to get in and out of his vivarium whenever he wants and has free reign over the house, usually he is in his vivarium basking when we are out but when we are home he wants to be with us all the time jumping on the sofe to watch TV with us, climbing the plants in the window if we go to the door or in the front garden. Will it cause him any harm being out of his vivarium so much?

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
This is a good question and I don't think there is an answer that we want to hear. My beardies spend A LOT of time out of their tank! They are in their tanks with their lights on for about 10 hours a day. When I get home from work they both get taken out and have free reign of the front room usually until lights out....maybe a bit longer. I have a heated throw blanket that I leave on a very warm setting and when they get tired they usually find it and close their eyes. They like to find windows and watch the cars and people walk by. Weekends are a little different. If we are home, they usually get to run around until they are cold then we put them back in for a few hours to warm up. On weekends though, if it's nice out they get to go outside.

I'm sure the correct answer is to only take them out for a few hours a day LOL!

DanielE

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Id be worried about not getting enough UVB if they are out most of the day. I personally only take mine out a out an hr each everyday.

But I dont really have any data to stand on right now so just another opinion lol. One from each side of the spectrum so to speak lol.

Latest posts