• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

How long can a dragon go without crickets?

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I got this dilemma where I ran into situation where my finances are slim and no gas to leave the house for two weeks. I've got six crickets left from a batch of four dozen. I bought chicken baby food and extra greens in case this happened. I'm not able to buy any crickets on-line because they cost more and probably take ten days to ship.

She's gone without crickets, but never for two weeks.

I got chicken baby food, but I heard you shouldn't feed that unless they're sick and not eating.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
You could try to have pellets on hand for emergencies such as this. Not all BDs will take to them, but mine all do. I use Repcal Bearded Dragon Food for the appropriate sized dragon. Often they will only eat the green ones & leave the red & brown ones behind. If you choose to go this route, try to pick a container with mostly green ones & never feed them dry, always moisten them first. If fed dry, it takes too much moisture out of there system to digest them & can quickly lead to dehydration. On the flip side, when moistened, they suck up a lot of moisture so are an excellent source of hydration.

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Actually, I've asked for help and can get her crixs. Typing with a beardie is hard to do.ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssshe keeps jumping onto the keyboard][[['vccccc. she's typing everytime I do! LOL​

Anytime! :) I wonder when Allie lays eggs, will I have to give her pinkies. (I'm a rodent lover. Gerbils. I had a family of gerbils with babies and they looked like little sea otters when they were born.) Merged post

mr yindles

Bearded Dragon Egg
I would ration the crickets by making less crickets in her meal and mor greens i would also use fresh greens (if u hav them) and put in a little bit of fruit but only a VERY small amount because if u feed them fruit it shod only consist 5% of their diet so over all use less crickets mor greens and even less crickets w a SMALL amount of fruit. hope this helps.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Actually, I've asked for help and can get her crixs. Typing with a beardie is hard to do.ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssshe keeps jumping onto the keyboard][[['vccccc. she's typing everytime I do! LOL​

Anytime! :) I wonder when Allie lays eggs, will I have to give her pinkies. (I'm a rodent lover. Gerbils. I had a family of gerbils with babies and they looked like little sea otters when they were born.) Merged post
Pinkies are never a necessary feeder. That being said, they can be useful to help bring a BD's weight back up because of their high 'Fat' content, in instances like post-laying, after being ill, rescued abused &\or mistreated BDs. But there are other methods, such as regular balanced diets of nutritious foods & gutloading that work quite well.

Latest posts