• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

how did you get into reptiles?

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
So i figured it would be nice to go over how everyone got into herps.

ill start with my story.
I grew up in South Georgia on a cattle farm we rented in a place call Hartsfield. I consider myself to have gotten my start there. I was a country boy lol. I caught stuff all the time and brought it home or to my papa jacks house (old fello in his 70s him and his wife were our only neighbors and were kinda like my adopted grandparents). I would catch garden snakes and water snakes caught a couple of timber rattlers and 1 diamond back. I had no fear lol of course i was taught to respect the animals but i wasnt taught that i should be scared of them. Now im at age 6 and i catch a black snake about 2 foot long and didnt look close enough to see that it was a water moccasin (sp). Got bit nearest hospital was 45 minutes away (the reason i brought up papa jack). Thank god papa jack was old country farm raised kinda guy he through a tourniquit on my arm and put some kinda wrap that smelled horrible (i mean HORRIBLE) on the bit wound. My arm never swole up and i only got a lil sick (went to the hospital and they said that nothing was wrong and the werent sure how my body had fought off the venom). God i wish that man was still alive so i could now express how much i appreciate everything he taught me and did for me. Anywayz thats my origins of loving reptiles lol.

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Weeeeellll I am the daughter of a Veterinarian... All sorts of "critters" have been in and out of our home for as long as i can remember... I think my first "reptile" was a horned toad, I caught out on the ranges of Ks. I kept "him" for about 2 weeks, carefully watching his actions, what he ate, and how he dug himself into the soils to hide.
Decades pass, and an elderly Dragon was pretty much dropped on my door step. I found you guys, and the rest... is cyber history ;)
Janie.

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
As a baby I was always fascinated by animals and always loved them especially reptiles. Every summer when my family and I would go down the shore there would be people with big boas, pythons and iguanas on their shoulders and I always reached out to pet them with no fear. Of course my mom freaked out and I never got to touch them. Years pass and I was in elementary school (2nd grade i think) and they called us all into the auditorium for an assembly and it just so happened to be an awesome reptile assembly and the guy brought all sorts of reptiles. I was in heaven! He brought out massive boas, an "baby" andaconda, baby alligators but then he brought out the reptile that has stolen my heart for all of these years, an adult Rhinocerous Iguana. The guy let us go up to the front to pet all of the animals and i fell in love with the Rhino Iggy. At that time they were illegal to own as pets unless you were a zoo or had them for educational purposes which broke my heart. Ever since then I have been determined to own reptiles and finally convinced my parents to let me get red eared sliders, green iguanas, anoles and now i have the beardies, frillie and my rhino iguana!

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
crypticdragons said:
rhino iggys are awesome
mine is such a mush...hes like a little kid...i cant wait to get him back from my friend i miss him so much

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hey Candice
Have you ever considered doing some of that school/scouts educational stuff. I do about 6 schools a year and gotta admit, it's pretty awesome. I do one especially for handicapped kids. i think that's my favorite because they bond so well with the animals, listen intently, and hang on your every word. I always hear from parents afterward, and just prior to that time of year. So it's a pretty rewarding thing to do. You really don't need alot of animals to take. With the handicapped children, I leave the small animals at home, but take in the dragons, snakes, igs, tegus and other handleable creatures. I also take in certian bugs, which they find amazing. Like hornworms and supers.

hmmmmmm sorry to get off topic here.

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
dont apologize the forum chat section is for off topic rants lol. so whenever side bar convos pop up (especially if its my post) it does not bother me at all ;D

Latest posts