• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

How did you get hooked on Bearded Dragons?

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Let's have some fun here, I want to know how everyone came to love bearded dragons! I'll start:

I feel like my story might be a little different. A lot of people started with amphibians and reptiles at a young age then got out of the "hobby" only to come back into it later in life. I started at the age of 37! One of the doctors I work for went to Louisville and came home with a jar of tadpoles. She thought it would be fun to see if they would morph in the bowls we have our beta fish in! I didn't have the heart to tell her that the fish would eat them, which they did almost instantly! I took 6 of the tadpoles home and within a month I had 3 tiny baby frogs. Unfortunately, I didn't know how to care for them and couldn't get them to eat the wingless fruit flies I tried to feed them and they died within a week. I was completely hooked though! A few days later I went out and got 2 whites tree frogs, which has now turned into 5! My boyfriend saw how much fun I was having with the frogs that he wanted to try something too. He read up on BD's but wasn't sure about the size and room we would need so he settled on 2 leopard geckos. We immediately regretted that decision, they weren't very interactive since they slept during the day. The geckos ended up getting sick and the petstore said they would take them back if we provided the tank for them but I didn't have the heart to bring them back. I just wasn't sure the petstore would do what they could to nurse them back to health. So I kept them and tried my best but my best wasn't good enough and they ended up passing away. It was then that I did my research on BD's, we bought a tank, got everything set up and in December of 2012 we brought Dexter home! Now we can't imagine our lives without her! We wish we would have gotten her 20 years ago! She is such a little character, but she is the most loving little critter! I never thought I would fall in love with a reptile! Or as my boyfriend says "did you ever think you'd fall in love with a prickly pear?" In December of 2013 we brought Luci home. He is the exact polar opposite of Dexter but it's been fun getting to know him and learning even more about them!

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Allie's story is a long one.

I always had an interest in lizards and amphibians. I caught an anole lizard that was wild and she'd sit there. She was interesting when I took her out and held her. She'd drink copious amounts of water and would eat some times, but not all the time. After giving birth to two eggs, she ate them and it was time to let her go. She'd visit every year during the summer time.

Then 2 years ago, we were looking around on a local facebook yard sale site. There she was! Allie. She was a juvenile bearded dragon that was up for sale. I couldn't resist her and negotiated the price on her. I got her for 40 dollars. They gave me a cheap 15 gallon tank with a cracked bottom. I went out and got a ten gallon tank for her so that I could have somewhere to put her. She went from tank to tank because she was growing. Then around X-Mas time, I got a large tank for her. She loved it because it was so large and she could run around in. We both fell in love with Allie. She's such a character and personality. She enjoys car rides, meeting people, and even wants people to fawn over her. She's such a 'Queen'.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I couldn't imagine giving up any of my animals let alone on a yard sale site. I can't say it enough, she really is lucky to have found you.

maxxdout

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Ok, I'll bite lol...my at the time 10 yr old niece has always loved reptiles. She's raised leopard geckos, tegus snakes etc...so as something to do, I took her to a lot of reptile expos. At an expo about a year ago, I held an adult and a baby beardie. Omg love at first site! I had to have one. So after researching, I had a setup and a very reputable breeder picked out. I went to petco to buy some more last minute stuff, and there was Nacho, watching me intently through his tank. So....the rest is history! Lol live him! But now it's spreading...just bought an Asian water Dragon and het pied python. Live them all, big or small :)...but my Nacho by far has the best personality of any of my reptiles. Such a character and so fun to interact with. A true sweetheart!

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I couldn't imagine giving up any of my animals let alone on a yard sale site. I can't say it enough, she really is lucky to have found you.

Her old owner has other animals she's giving up too. I just found her rabbits, ferrets, a chameleon, cats, and dogs. She can't take care of them. Food costs money. Money, she doesn't have. What makes her think she can afford to feed them if she couldn't afford Allie? Best reptile dog I've got here.

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ok, I'll bite lol...my at the time 10 yr old niece has always loved reptiles. She's raised leopard geckos, tegus snakes etc...so as something to do, I took her to a lot of reptile expos. At an expo about a year ago, I held an adult and a baby beardie. Omg love at first site! I had to have one. So after researching, I had a setup and a very reputable breeder picked out. I went to petco to buy some more last minute stuff, and there was Nacho, watching me intently through his tank. So....the rest is history! Lol live him! But now it's spreading...just bought an Asian water Dragon and het pied python. Live them all, big or small :)...but my Nacho by far has the best personality of any of my reptiles. Such a character and so fun to interact with. A true sweetheart!

Looks like Nacho was a match made. They have the habit of looking at you in the eye and watching you...Then boom. You buy them.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Yep they come right up to the front of the tank and they wave at you and follow your finger and BOOM your wrapped around their long toe!

maxxdout

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I love how he responds to my voice. Whether I'm holding.him or talking through glass...lol...he always cocks his little head like a puppy and looks at me. Such a soulful little being :)

Canicke

Super Moderator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yeah - me too. Since moving to arizona (from washington) 20 years ago i have been enthralled with most desert creatures. Even the bugs are different! Moved my horses to a new barn. The owners Teen age daughter was looking to rehome her leopard geckos (in prep for moving to college). I volunteered. They are so much less trouble than i imagined. And - although they are sweet - there just isnt a lot of interaction with them. Watched craigslist for a few months. Toviah followed me home. He has a better life now - calmed down quite a bit and captured my heart. Then he went into brumation and i missed him a lot. Back to craigslist for a non brumating bd. hence: baby bella (ok - i was told shes about 4 and a now retired breeder but shes the new kid so shes the baby). Im trying to not think about the next rescue(toviah is missing one foot and was fed only mealworms for 6 months begore i got him. Bella dont need to make no more babies).

Canicke

Super Moderator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ps - thanks patsy for such an interesting thread!

diegothediggy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Beardie Club
You all have very interesting stories behind ur beardies. Its lovely to hear. Well my story no so exciting but here goes....... Ive always wanted a pet because i neva had 1 as a child i was 1 of 6 n a single mum so a pet wasnt really an option considwlering she had her ylhands so full. When i was around 10 my mum dug a pond in our back garden n we all piked a couple of fish each i piked 2 shabumpkins they lived a gud few yrs but they just wernt much of a pet coz all u cud do was feed them n waych them swim so ...... Fast forward another 12 yrs so i then had 2 kids n a house of my own ( yeh i had my kids quite young) so i wanted a pet but didnt want a dog or a cat but wanted something that i cud bond with. So my bfs brother had a BD and he is really nice so i thought y not so i put the idea into my bfs head and for a while it kept comin up in convo but we didnt really do ewt bout it. So on the 26th of jan( mybday ) my bf sed i was gettin a suprise so when he told me to get in the car n didnt tell me where we was goin. So wen we pulled up out side the lizardlounge i knew straight away n like a child i got all giddy n excited. So i had a gud look around n held around 6 BDs then i seen Diego. He was in a tank with a larger female n a small poorly female. And as soon as i seen him i fell in love he was very alert and it was feeding time n he was goin crazy for the bugs runnin rnd the cage like mad snapping then up but when he seen me he stopped and came over to the glass ..... Or eyes met...... N my heart sank...... I had a hold n straight away new he was the beardie for me. I was soooo made up with him we brought him home and straight away he fit into our little family. I was quite nervous at first not of Diego but my kids r very loud n a bit crazy so i tried n tried for day n days to keep them quiet n stop them runnin past his viv. But after a couple of day i thought theres no point i cnt keep the kids quiet foreva so i just let them b. And now hes loves the kids when i have him in the hall and shut the doors so he can have a run he follows the sounds of the kids n sits at the door where they r lookin at me as if to say. I wanna play too hehe. He is a large part of our family now and he is loved unconditionally the best pet i could eva ask for. Now not even 3 months on n my bf keeps askin for another 1 theres a large girl in pets at home where we get our bugs and every time we go he tells me he wants her but i no tbis mite sound mean but i dnt want another 1 coz i wudnt want Diego to feel left out n id b afraid that i wudnt luv her as much as Diego n that wudnt b fair. Im completely obsessed with him my family r sik of lookin at pics n hearing bout when he eat sleeps n poops thats y in sooo made up i found this forum. ;) ;)

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I think all of these stories are interesting! Keep them coming!

Keegirl96

Hatchling Dragon
I was always into reptiles,..grew up with dogs but I always wanted something "different" so I got a lizard (it was a ameiva...loved him to death) and since then I've always owned reptiles (mostly lizards, had a couple of snakes but lizards always held my fancy). I used to only have tegus, monitors, etc but then one day I got a beardie and got hooked. I usually try to own a few different kinds of lizards at one time but I will always atleast have one beardie in my "collection". Currently I have two beardies and a Sudan Plated Lizard.

Marquez0352

Hatchling Dragon
How fun! A bit delayed but will make it brief!

Random drive by a mom & pop pet shop we decided to stop and browse, specifically reptiles because they are always so curious and fun to interact with. We first discovered baby Beardies. There was one specifically toying with us at the glass looking so mischievous! Googled about care & maintenance for beardies. An hour later we walked out with entire set up and our little one, Button!

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
That's how they get you! You walk into the store and they give you that smile and play with you and you are hooked!

Elemental Dragon Lord

Bearded Dragon Veteran
My story began many years ago. After diggs and cats as a kid I finally got my skink. He was a mean son of a ¥|¥<€ and really ruined me of lizards for years. Fast forward a decade later and I got my first of many turtles. He really didn't like being held but he interacted and he made me forget the pain of reptiles. Fast forward almost 20 years of unfullfilling pets my gf told me I need something I needed a pet of my own. She had het dog, cat, and rat. I had been looking into multiple animals for years, finally I went to look at animals and I saw Razor. He looked so small and helpless but he was giving everyone thr stink eye. I asked to look at him and as soon as they opened the lid he reeled from the employee and as soon as he was close enough he jumped to me. I laughed as he ran into my shirt pocket and peeked out looking to see if she was still there. Case closed.

CrazyLeopardGeckoLady

Juvenile Dragon
I've always wanted a snake but my family is scared of them so when I was about 12 we moved my fish to a bigger tank and since we had a large tank lying around I asked my mom for a bearded dragon, she said if I cleaned the tank then she would take me to the store and I cleaned the tank right away and studied up on beardies, when we got there we found out there was a lot more requirements then we thought and settled on a leopard gecko (my baby girl Greg) and a little less then three years later I went with my little sister to get a guinea pig a lady offered me jezabel a baby leopard gecko with some of her tail cut off and I showed her to my mom and when my mom saw her she probably knew I wasn't gonna give her up so she said ok, lastly now I am watching fox for my cousins friend while she's in collage and he is a fully grown beardie and a big sweetheart

Latest posts