• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hornworms Vs Silkworms

MisterD83

Juvenile Dragon
And if i keep steiner on crickets im going to buy them from an arnlmstrong retailer. They are strong crickets. One nearly jumped out of the 50 gal tank from a spot half way up. That activity could be beatrix eats them.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Just keep an eye on her. Luci always liked to eat a bigger size cricket. I don't give him huge crickets but if they fit width wise between his eyes I'm okay. I figure length wise a worm is always going to be bigger than the space between his eyes. He's very good at chewing his food.

I tell you, I am loving these horn worms. I gave a few of the smaller ones to one of my frogs that is a runt and he gobbled them right out of my hand! Luci really likes them too.

river-7

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Hi; I have used horns and silks for my reptiles. I find most love horns, and silks-I understand from a lot of research the silks have a lot of healing properties. Horns work good on their bowels. so if dragon needs to go to bathroom and is not- give a few horns.I don't give too many just a few a couple times a week for leo-gecko. My dragon is too young yet and looks at it as a teal invader of her tank lol. river-7

MisterD83

Juvenile Dragon
Didnt know silks had healing properties, i knew they had a higher calcium content (probably from the mulberry leaf chow) and produce an enzyme that helps process the calcium.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Didn't know horn worms were good for the bowels! So far nobody has let anything loose yet but now I won't be shocked when it happens!

MisterD83

Juvenile Dragon
Both beatrix and stiener eat the silkworms outta my my hands. I dont even get the chance to put the worms down before steiner or beatrix snaggs it out.

Unfortunately steiner is much more agressive than timid beatrix so i have to take her out of the tank and feed her one by one.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
So horn worms haven't been the hit with Dexter that I hoped. She will eat one a day and I honestly think she does it because she forgets she doesn't like it. Yesterday I gave her one and when I tried to give her another one she twisted her head and backed away as if she was saying "ewwww, get that away from me!" It was the funniest thing!

Latest posts