• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hey Everybody, New Owner Here!

Chris Baez Jr.

Juvenile Dragon
BDs should not be 'Played' with, 'gently handled' yes. Young children must be closely supervised with these guys for both their protection & be very sure to wash their hands after any handling to avoid the possibility of salmonella.

Yes, I let my grandchildren 'handle' ours (can't really play with her), but I'm always there at the ready in case anything should happen. My two 5 yo grandsons are more careful, but I always sit right next to them. But my 3 yo granddaughter will cry if she doesn't get a turn, so I put her in her hand for like ten or fifteen seconds, and I keep my hand under hers. And the hand washing is always emphasized.

BDs 'look' tough, and are very friendly, but when you hold them you really feel how delicate and fragile they really are. Of course, I'm speaking as a novice. I never owned a reptile 'till about ten or eleven days ago. We do have two Shi Tzus and one Poodle, and I have several fish tanks (can't handle fish). However, little by little, I want to make BDs a family project. That might take a while, maybe longer than I think, but we'll see. The safety and health of both, the children and Patricia (the BD), is first and foremost.

woodson28

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I assure you, no BDs were harmed in the taking of those pics.. we actually took him to the playhouse to get my daughters bathtub for her doll, which is the perfect size bathtub for our lil man.. so he took a nice bath next to us as we.. uhhh.. I mean.. as my daughter played with her dolls lol.. but after his bath, he looked like he could go for sum tea & a nap;) so he's not being used in place of a doll, being made to dance around & such.. he just chills there, looking at every thing while we.. I mean while my daughter plays..
Believe me, I am totally aware that Anything+unsupervised 5 yr old=bad possiblities.. however, I got our new buddy as an experience for my daughter & i to share together, & I fully intend to enjoy our lil guy & make my daughters experience fun & special.
I will say that the only harm to come to our guy was his hurt lil expression on his face when I told him he could not ride in barbies corvette. I mean, cmon.. we all know women drivers;) safety first.

woodson28

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Ok Mr Germ, I read the link you sent me about digital temp guns.. & now that I know the proper distance to be in order to get an accurate read, my cool side is 84-86.5 degrees & my hot side was way to hot on the basking spot.. so I bought the zoomed lamp stand & have been trying to adjust the heights & find the sweet spot. But I'm already in pretty good ranges..
You mentioned if I put foil between the fixture & bulb, it would put out more UVB, but that was before I mounted it inside.. I have the reptisun 10.0, would I still want to do that?

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I do in all mine, really helps to get more UVB radiated from the bulb, when it's strength starts to dissipate as the bulb ages. Sounds good on getting the temps in the right ranges. Would have been cheaper just to use a lower wattage or different type of bulb & easier on the Power bill too ;).

What's with the 'Mr' Germ :confused: .

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I'm late to the game, but welcome aboard!!
Looks like you're already getting solid advice.

woodson28

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Got the tile in.. what do you think? Am I finished? Anything else needed? Tile in..jpg IMAG0949.jpg

woodson28

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Nice! If your happy, I know he will be happy! I'll get that foil in as soon as I buy some.. I had to pass on luxuries like that so he can have his home complete. I don't have any more toilet paper, but he has tile in his whole house & silkworms waiting for tomorrows breakfast!

Latest posts