• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Herbicides?

sean8172

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Since the weather has been getting warmer, I've let the "kids" wander the yard a few times. They're curious enough that they have, of course, eaten some things. They both like the wild clover in our yard, but they really seem to love dandelions. I've done some extensive research, and found that every part of the dandelion plant is actually very nutritious. Now, onto my question...Today, I noticed my next door neighbor using weed killer (looked like Weed B Gone) in her front yard. Most of the wild dandelions grow in our back yard, which is roughly a quarter acre. I have no idea how far the herbicide she's using will travel, either airborne, or through the air. If I pull, and wash, the dandelion from the side of my yard farthest from theirs, will they be safe? The neighbors on the other side haven't used anything in their lawn in the two years I've lived here, and I never use anything. I'm planning I growing potted dandelions indoors, since they'll grow I anything, but until then, I want to make sure what I feed them will be safe.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I wouldn't recommend feeding any wild plants from in and around urban centers, particularly if your next door neighbor is using pesticides. Herbicides\pesticides\fertilizers\plant foods\etc, do not stay only on the plant but also seep into the water table which can also contaminate surrounding areas. Feeding outside plants falls into the same category as feeding wild bugs, in my opinion.

sean8172

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Sounds about right. Thank you Germ, as usual. I'm just going to grow some indoors. It's working great with other greens. Don't see why it wouldn't work with dandelions.

On a side note, Swype just suggested "cannabis" in place of "dandelions". Hmmmm

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Nah on the cannabis, lol - my BDs are 'Spaced Out' branch potatoes enough already, but I suppose it may give them the munchies ;) , would have some fat Dragons ...

Now please, no one take any of this seriously :eek:.

Latest posts