• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Help with heat bulb

Nico spaz

Bearded Dragon Egg
So this is my first time owning a bearded dragon and I love him/her so much and I just want to make sure I’m doing everything right. He/she is around three months old I’m guessing. I just moved him to a 40 gallon breeder tank with a screen top. He has an Arcadia 12 percent uvb light it’s 24 inches and I’m currently using a 100 watt reptisun basking bulb I believe but I’m having to place his basking spot high up in the tank because the heat lamp won’t reach lower. and I’m only getting at 94 on the basking spot. I know they aren’t suppose to be too close to the uvb light. His basking spot is also a hammock right now because I can’t find any basking spots high enough. I’ve recently purchased a 100 watt halogen exo terra heat bulb but it was too hot I got readings of 120 with my infrared thermometer. My house runs around 72 degrees night and day. I would just like some suggestions on a better basking set up and heat bulb please it’s very stressful trying to find the right stuff people at the pet stores don’t have correct information what I’ve learned I’ve had to watch countless videos and read so many different things on line. I just want to give him the best life I possibly can

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
So this is my first time owning a bearded dragon and I love him/her so much and I just want to make sure I’m doing everything right. He/she is around three months old I’m guessing. I just moved him to a 40 gallon breeder tank with a screen top. He has an Arcadia 12 percent uvb light it’s 24 inches and I’m currently using a 100 watt reptisun basking bulb I believe but I’m having to place his basking spot high up in the tank because the heat lamp won’t reach lower. and I’m only getting at 94 on the basking spot. I know they aren’t suppose to be too close to the uvb light. His basking spot is also a hammock right now because I can’t find any basking spots high enough. I’ve recently purchased a 100 watt halogen exo terra heat bulb but it was too hot I got readings of 120 with my infrared thermometer. My house runs around 72 degrees night and day. I would just like some suggestions on a better basking set up and heat bulb please it’s very stressful trying to find the right stuff people at the pet stores don’t have correct information what I’ve learned I’ve had to watch countless videos and read so many different things on line. I just want to give him the best life I possibly can
Ok IR guns do not read correctly on hammocks --you want 2 digital probe thermometers - one placed on the spot where he sits to bask - you dont need to leave it there---- long enough to get a actual surface basking temp 105-110 --the other one on the cool side 80ish-- --- UVB is a great one placement and distance should be 12-15 inches inside the tank directly above the basking decor for a fine screen mesh --- for a wide hole type 8-10 inches directly above the basking decor --- 72 temps at night are good -- you want ambient temps at night 65-75 -- you dont want your basking bulb closer than 6"

Nico spaz

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ok IR guns do not read correctly on hammocks --you want 2 digital probe thermometers - one placed on the spot where he sits to bask - you dont need to leave it there---- long enough to get a actual surface basking temp 105-110 --the other one on the cool side 80ish-- --- UVB is a great one placement and distance should be 12-15 inches inside the tank directly above the basking decor for a fine screen mesh --- for a wide hole type 8-10 inches directly above the basking decor --- 72 temps at night are good -- you want ambient temps at night 65-75 -- you dont want your basking bulb closer than 6"
Okay thank you so much. So do I need to put the uvb light inside of the tank instead of on top of the mesh? Also I believe he’s sitting way too close to uvb and heat lamp because that was the only way I could get heat lamp to get hot enough. I need to lower his basking spot so I guess I just need to test out different bulbs? And I will purchase a prob thermometer. Underneath his basking spot though the temp is around 76 I’m guessing it’s because I have the basking spot raised so high

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Okay thank you so much. So do I need to put the uvb light inside of the tank instead of on top of the mesh? Also I believe he’s sitting way too close to uvb and heat lamp because that was the only way I could get heat lamp to get hot enough. I need to lower his basking spot so I guess I just need to test out different bulbs? And I will purchase a prob thermometer. Underneath his basking spot though the temp is around 76 I’m guessing it’s because I have the basking spot raised so high
Get those digital probe thermometers and go from there -- they are going to tell you the actual surface basking temps---- you dont want any off white yellowish daytime or colored bulbs -- start w/ a 100 watt

Latest posts