• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Help please! (how long for him to acclimate?)

Newbeardiemom

Juvenile Dragon
Yesterday my little guy arrived. He is almost 5 months old. He’s very plump and didn’t seem skittish of me touching him at all. He had a long travel from LA, California to central Louisiana. When I put him in his new home he basked for a bit and then moved to the cool side … I’ve mounted just a plain fluorescent shop light across the back of his enclosure just for the purpose of more light. I built a large wooden enclosure with a Reptisun T5 HO 10.0 UVB that sits 2/3 the length on top of a metal grill (with large openings)…not mesh at all, and the heat bulbs overlapping. So, I have a couple of questions: how long will it take “Charlie “ to come down from that corner…. ? Or do I need to force him down? Do I need to feed him today and should he eat? I did offer water to him with a dropper but he wasn’t interested, the breeder I got him from had said to go ahead and bathe and feed him as soon as I got him? I did not do either one as he got in the upper corner and didn’t seem to want to be moved. But no obvious stress Iines or waving or black bearding….I think his temps are good although I think he did overheat yesterday and that’s why he moved up to a corner. Cool side is between 80-88F. Hot side between 90 and 100. Room temp between 80 and 90. I’m using some landscaping stones and brick for basking which I’ve built up to approximately 12 inches from uvb light and basking light I’m measuring surface temps with a temp gun and surface are getting up to 106 which I know may be too hot. So, last question: how to keep basking surface temps correct.. not too hot… while keeping overall hot side warm enough? Please help with suggestions/advice!

Attachments

• A7F311EC-5786-4D18-BF39-B6BDDAD4462D.jpeg
    A7F311EC-5786-4D18-BF39-B6BDDAD4462D.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 96
  • EC6F4A9D-C128-4283-8467-AA11198F5E81.jpeg
    EC6F4A9D-C128-4283-8467-AA11198F5E81.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 96
  • C4655FEF-A563-48E4-989C-7B548907C0EF.jpeg
    C4655FEF-A563-48E4-989C-7B548907C0EF.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 99
  • C8D96FC1-6ECC-4831-8334-9AA296482E06.jpeg
    C8D96FC1-6ECC-4831-8334-9AA296482E06.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 99

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yesterday my little guy arrived. He is almost 5 months old. He’s very plump and didn’t seem skittish of me touching him at all. He had a long travel from LA, California to central Louisiana. When I put him in his new home he basked for a bit and then moved to the cool side … I’ve mounted just a plain fluorescent shop light across the back of his enclosure just for the purpose of more light. I built a large wooden enclosure with a Reptisun T5 HO 10.0 UVB that sits 2/3 the length on top of a metal grill (with large openings)…not mesh at all, and the heat bulbs overlapping. So, I have a couple of questions: how long will it take “Charlie “ to come down from that corner…. ? Or do I need to force him down? Do I need to feed him today and should he eat? I did offer water to him with a dropper but he wasn’t interested, the breeder I got him from had said to go ahead and bathe and feed him as soon as I got him? I did not do either one as he got in the upper corner and didn’t seem to want to be moved. But no obvious stress Iines or waving or black bearding….I think his temps are good although I think he did overheat yesterday and that’s why he moved up to a corner. Cool side is between 80-88F. Hot side between 90 and 100. Room temp between 80 and 90. I’m using some landscaping stones and brick for basking which I’ve built up to approximately 12 inches from uvb light and basking light I’m measuring surface temps with a temp gun and surface are getting up to 106 which I know may be too hot. So, last question: how to keep basking surface temps correct.. not too hot… while keeping overall hot side warm enough? Please help with suggestions/advice!
Charlie is a nice looking dragon -- he is going to go thru relocation stress and it may take him a day or two to start eating and even then it may be off not eating as much -- hes got a beautiful tank -- the tank temps for him I would start w/ 95-100 for basking as dragons get older they tend to like those temps I just posted -- babies like it hotter 105-110 those temps MUST be taken w/a digital probe thermometer -- place the probe where Charlie is going to sit for basking - middle of tank ambient temps should be in the 90's - I have two basking places for my dragons in their tanks- I have a hot side that offers different temps that is a piece of decor that does that and then I have the middle of the tank in the front that has another lower wattage basking bulb that sits behind the UVB where temps are in the 90's -- and then my cool side is 80 ish -- your main goal is to have the basking spot 95-100 -- ambient temp will stay warm enough w/ the light - you can place a stick on in that area and it will tell you want ambient temp is - your 106 on that spot may be too hot for him and he will move away if he can to where its not as hot --- watch his behavior - you may haft to remove one of those stones but make sure UVB distance stays between 12-15 inches --- or go to a lower wattage basking bulb --
Dont force him down from the corner for now -- and yes offer him food - make sure you rinse his salads before serving so he gets hydration from them

Rusty

Juvenile Dragon
Wow your setup is beautiful :) you have lucky dragon there, don't worry he will come down on his own, he is checking things out from birds eye that's all, good luck enjoy your new pet ❤️

Newbeardiemom

Juvenile Dragon
Charlie is a nice looking dragon -- he is going to go thru relocation stress and it may take him a day or two to start eating and even then it may be off not eating as much -- hes got a beautiful tank -- the tank temps for him I would start w/ 95-100 for basking as dragons get older they tend to like those temps I just posted -- babies like it hotter 105-110 those temps MUST be taken w/a digital probe thermometer -- place the probe where Charlie is going to sit for basking - middle of tank ambient temps should be in the 90's - I have two basking places for my dragons in their tanks- I have a hot side that offers different temps that is a piece of decor that does that and then I have the middle of the tank in the front that has another lower wattage basking bulb that sits behind the UVB where temps are in the 90's -- and then my cool side is 80 ish -- your main goal is to have the basking spot 95-100 -- ambient temp will stay warm enough w/ the light - you can place a stick on in that area and it will tell you want ambient temp is - your 106 on that spot may be too hot for him and he will move away if he can to where its not as hot --- watch his behavior - you may haft to remove one of those stones but make sure UVB distance stays between 12-15 inches --- or go to a lower wattage basking bulb --
Dont force him down from the corner for now -- and yes offer him food - make sure you rinse his salads before serving so he gets hydration from them
Ok thank you… I think I will remove a couple of stones… the problem I’m having is the hot side temp gets to 95 to 100 and the stones get way too hot… so all my lights are on dimmers and I dim them and my stones get right but the hot side temps drop!… my cool side seems to be food as long as I have a slight breeze from a fan turned on lowest setting blowing toward that side. He us definitely wanting to stay up high on the cool side. I just tried to feed him salad.. yeah I washed every leaf and placed a few leafs at a time between paper towels then wet it to store in baggies. I did the same wit some bok choy… he wouldn’t touch it… so I tried a superworm.. he actually went for it on the tongs and I dropped it!!! He refuses to try again.. he looked at me crazy! Lol… I tried a couple of Dubai roaches sprinkled but no way wasn’t having it. I’m afraid I stressed the poor baby out now so I’m not trying again today for sure. The breeder told me to bathe him in an electrolyte soak to desires him but I’m not sure I should right now. I’m so hesitant to do anything more … I’m just so afraid of making him get sick or something!… as much as I’ve planned for him I am totally nervous!… until yesterday I’d never actually touched one… but I researched… read.. just everything I could for many many months.. even close to a year before I decided to bite the bullet… I just hope I can give him the good home he deserves. Also.. my order from Dubai roaches came on Wednesday and there is no way there was 200 roaches in there and many were dead… as of this morning many more are dead… I put them in a large container with the egg crates and placed s couple pieces of fruit and potatoes in there and stored them in a dark place with temps of about 85…. So what did I do wrong and us there any way Dubai will make that right??? I’m in a small town and the nearest PetSmart is an hour away and they do not have live feeder roaches ..only crickets. The breeder said he’s only eating Dubai’s. Oh I’m so lost here!!
Wow your setup is beautiful :) you have lucky dragon there, don't worry he will come down on his own, he is checking things out from birds eye that's all, good luck enjoy your new pet ❤️
thank you. I thought I had it all right but with all my readjusting of lights for temps I’ve probably stressed him more than the trip!! He grabbed for worm just as I dropped the worm!!! I’ve never Fed live bugs with tongs!.. he gave up after that!!

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Where did you get the roaches from ? www.dubiaroaches.com will replace the roaches but you must send them a pic of the roaches -- please offer him salads first thing in the morning -- along w/ your staple feeder -- is he not eating anything at all right now? as far as the basking area you may haft to get rid of those stones --- are you getting a temp w/ a digital probe thermometer ? NO IR guns for now --- if your getting it w/ only a IR gun it may be off that is why you need the digital probe thermometer I have heard of certain stones/ rocks getting too hot -- do not let him get hooked on worms what kind of worm did you feed?

Rusty

Juvenile Dragon
Ok thank you… I think I will remove a couple of stones… the problem I’m having is the hot side temp gets to 95 to 100 and the stones get way too hot… so all my lights are on dimmers and I dim them and my stones get right but the hot side temps drop!… my cool side seems to be food as long as I have a slight breeze from a fan turned on lowest setting blowing toward that side. He us definitely wanting to stay up high on the cool side. I just tried to feed him salad.. yeah I washed every leaf and placed a few leafs at a time between paper towels then wet it to store in baggies. I did the same wit some bok choy… he wouldn’t touch it… so I tried a superworm.. he actually went for it on the tongs and I dropped it!!! He refuses to try again.. he looked at me crazy! Lol… I tried a couple of Dubai roaches sprinkled but no way wasn’t having it. I’m afraid I stressed the poor baby out now so I’m not trying again today for sure. The breeder told me to bathe him in an electrolyte soak to desires him but I’m not sure I should right now. I’m so hesitant to do anything more … I’m just so afraid of making him get sick or something!… as much as I’ve planned for him I am totally nervous!… until yesterday I’d never actually touched one… but I researched… read.. just everything I could for many many months.. even close to a year before I decided to bite the bullet… I just hope I can give him the good home he deserves. Also.. my order from Dubai roaches came on Wednesday and there is no way there was 200 roaches in there and many were dead… as of this morning many more are dead… I put them in a large container with the egg crates and placed s couple pieces of fruit and potatoes in there and stored them in a dark place with temps of about 85…. So what did I do wrong and us there any way Dubai will make that right??? I’m in a small town and the nearest PetSmart is an hour away and they do not have live feeder roaches ..only crickets. The breeder said he’s only eating Dubai’s. Oh I’m so lost here!!

thank you. I thought I had it all right but with all my readjusting of lights for temps I’ve probably stressed him more than the trip!! He grabbed for worm just as I dropped the worm!!! I’ve never Fed live bugs with tongs!.. he gave up after that!!
I use a dish, found perfect plate at dollar store, just enough edge worms can't get out, Rusty gets right in it :)

TheLongfellows

Hatchling Dragon
lol I love that you say don't get hooked on worms "Sadie". Our beardie Frey'ja went through a super worms strike. We had to wait her out she wanted nothing else haha. They are high in fat and harder to digest. Any worm I would stay like 3-5 a week tops but thats just from my experiences.

Newbeardiemom

Juvenile Dragon
Where did you get the roaches from ? www.dubiaroaches.com will replace the roaches but you must send them a pic of the roaches -- please offer him salads first thing in the morning -- along w/ your staple feeder -- is he not eating anything at all right now? as far as the basking area you may haft to get rid of those stones --- are you getting a temp w/ a digital probe thermometer ? NO IR guns for now --- if your getting it w/ only a IR gun it may be off that is why you need the digital probe thermometer I have heard of certain stones/ rocks getting too hot -- do not let him get hooked on worms what kind of worm did you feed?
Got roaches from Dubai.. I’ve sent pics so trying to get that right. No he hasn’t eaten since he’s been here yesterday around noon. I did offer salad this morning then offered a couple of dusted roaches and a superworm.. he went for the worm just as I dropped it off the tongs! No more after that. He is hanging out on top of the fluorescent light I put inside his enclosure just for light so I think I will rethink that. I will rearrange my thermometer/hygrometers as one has prove but one doesn’t. I have been using a temp gun on the stones so I will not do that..could ge still be adjusting? I’ve been rearranging all day trying to get temps right and I feel like I’m just stressing him out!
Ok great.. believe it or not I actually have that very bow! Never thought about using it. Can roaches get out?… or exactly how to do that???

Newbeardiemom

Juvenile Dragon
Ok… think I did that wrong… the bowl I have like that is too big… but will this one do? I just don’t know what to do.. he hasn’t eaten at all since he’s been here… came yesterday!… when do I start to worry?

Newbeardiemom

Juvenile Dragon
I have another couple of questions. My humidity is great on my cool side.. between 30 and 40%… but on my hot side when the temp reaches 98-100 the humidity goes down to 25-29%! I added a water bowl.. I must and it ups it for a sec!! What to do??? And I’ve tried to offer him water with a dropper but he turns his nose at it!!! Help… I’m not sure I’m doing this too well for my guy!!..☹️

Newbeardiemom

Juvenile Dragon
One more question… should I remove the fluorescent shop light I put at the top of the enclosure on the inside against the back? He’s staying on top of it … I’ve had trouble getting temps right but I may have it now… I mean, does the cool side really need that much light?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
One more question… should I remove the fluorescent shop light I put at the top of the enclosure on the inside against the back? He’s staying on top of it … I’ve had trouble getting temps right but I may have it now… I mean, does the cool side really need that much light?
No to the light on the cool side question --- you can use a regular LED house hold bulb in a dome if you want light -- and yes you might want to take it out - place the hh bulb on top of the screen -- your humidity is going to be lower on the hot side of tank and its fine where its at - place your probe on the back center wall of the tank it will read the whole tank - as for him not eating right now its normal they will go thru relocation stress his eating is going to be off - as long as your basking temps are good and hes got correct UVB and correct placement he will get there -- just keep offering the salads and put the dubias in the salad bowl to lure him there --- you can order some BSFL from here www.symtonbsf.com order the size no bigger than the space between his eyes length wise - they are a great lure to the bowl and a good staple feeder for babies feed as many as you want DO NOT dust them they are calcium enriched keep dusting the roaches tho w/ your calcium D3 -- hes 5 months old order large -- sorry I haft to keep scrolling up to read what has been posted -- do you have vitamins w/ beta carotene -- if not please get some and dust the insects 2 x per week ONE feeding only both supplements lightly coated please ---

Mummabeardy

Juvenile Dragon
His enclosure is beautiful !! Looks like a top of the line beardie condo! Lol..did you build this or purchase? My guy is in a 40g right now but growing like a weed. I would love to do something like this nxt..Charlie is very lucky!! ❤

Rusty

Juvenile Dragon
Got roaches from Dubai.. I’ve sent pics so trying to get that right. No he hasn’t eaten since he’s been here yesterday around noon. I did offer salad this morning then offered a couple of dusted roaches and a superworm.. he went for the worm just as I dropped it off the tongs! No more after that. He is hanging out on top of the fluorescent light I put inside his enclosure just for light so I think I will rethink that. I will rearrange my thermometer/hygrometers as one has prove but one doesn’t. I have been using a temp gun on the stones so I will not do that..could ge still be adjusting? I’ve been rearranging all day trying to get temps right and I feel like I’m just stressing him out!
Ok great.. believe it or not I actually have that very bow! Never thought about using it. Can roaches get out?… or exactly how to do that???
I can't use roaches in Canada, but the worms salad and bsfl work great in it.

Newbeardiemom

Juvenile Dragon
No to the light on the cool side question --- you can use a regular LED house hold bulb in a dome if you want light -- and yes you might want to take it out - place the hh bulb on top of the screen -- your humidity is going to be lower on the hot side of tank and its fine where its at - place your probe on the back center wall of the tank it will read the whole tank - as for him not eating right now its normal they will go thru relocation stress his eating is going to be off - as long as your basking temps are good and hes got correct UVB and correct placement he will get there -- just keep offering the salads and put the dubias in the salad bowl to lure him there --- you can order some BSFL from here www.symtonbsf.com order the size no bigger than the space between his eyes length wise - they are a great lure to the bowl and a good staple feeder for babies feed as many as you want DO NOT dust them they are calcium enriched keep dusting the roaches tho w/ your calcium D3 -- hes 5 months old order large -- sorry I haft to keep scrolling up to read what has been posted -- do you have vitamins w/ beta carotene -- if not please get some and dust the insects 2 x per week ONE feeding only both supplements lightly coated please ---
You don’t know how much I appreciate you helping me. I will remove the shop light today and put the regular bulb in my extra fixture just for a bit more light. Yesterday I tried to follow the schedule that the breeder gave me: salad an hour after heat and uvb on, roaches 1 1/2 hours after that (all he wants in 10 min), 2-3 superworms every other day, BSFL in afternoon (as many in 10 min). Of course that didn’t work yesterday… but should I continue to try for this schedule? I will order the vitamins today…. I have a spray vitamin with beta carotene which I use on my turtles food (made by Zilla) but it has a pic of a bearded dragon on the front..if not is there specific brand? I did move the gauge with the probe yesterday… I think the temp gun that I was using to get basking stone surface temps was off… the probe reads much lower than the gun….I had ordered everything that anywhere said I would need!…there is so much conflicting info out there!…Again, I thank you so so much.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
One more question.. does the T5 ho 10.0 need to be inside?
It depends on your screen ----- No if its a WIDE HOLE screen but it must be that type -- distance is different from inside --- if its a fine mesh like a screen door then yes it needs to be inside the tank approx 12-15 inches ---- both should be placed directly over the basking area -- your screen will block arrox 30% of those rays

Latest posts