• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hello from Canada

Mungi's Buddha

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
No problem...am glad to help:) btw mounted on the glass wall that probe is actually giving you the temperature of the glass...they are very specific and even mounted just a few inches away will give you a different reading...that is why attaching it directly to the basking spot is so important. After byou have it placed properly check it in about 30 minutes and again in an hour and see what it is reading. I would imagine that with the big watt bulbs you are using it will be too high.
I will check back and see what you get:)

Mungi's Buddha

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Just a personal opinion here but the Zilla Desert 50 UV light that came with your kit is not the best for your dragon and mounted on top of the screen will make amount of UV getting to her very little. Proper UV is an essential thing for these creatures.
A better and more efficient way to make sure she gets the UV she needs is by the use of tube type UV bulbs and mounting them inside of the enclosure so that the UV output is unobstructed.
I only recommend Exo-terra ReptiGlo or ZooMed ReptiSun. Both are good bulbs but the ReptiGlo is usually much cheaper.
I would recommend getting an 18" 10.0 or 10% bulb either from online or at your local pet store.
Wal-mart sees an 18" under-the-counter mount light fixture that you can put the bulb in and mount inside of the enclosure using a hot glue gun. The fixture cost around 10 dollars which is much cheaper than a pet shop fixture. If the fixture you buy has a clear or opaque shield that covers the bulb you will need to remove and discard the shield as it will cut off all of the UV emitted from your bulb. Once properly mounted you beardie is guaranteed to get proper UV and your UV bulb will only need to be replaced once per year instead of every 6 months when they are mounted above the screen. That saves you a lot of money.

Here are some pics to show how to mount it properly..These were taken a while back in our Mungi's enclosure which is a 40 gallon breeder tank also.

-18" Walmart florescent fixture, 18" 10.0 ReptiSun bulb. Fixture hot glued to back wall and right side wall approximately 1" below the screen locking track of the tank.
You can also see in the pics that this mounting allows the UV from the center of the bulb where most of the bulb's UV comes from to shine down on the Basking Spot as well as making it possible to have both UV and basking lights properly directed at the Basking Spot.

(The Basking Spot Bulb I use is a 75 watt standard household Halogen floodlight bulb which is centered directly over the basking spot and suspended about 6-7 inches above the screen from a light rack I build for my tank enclosures. However if you place your basking fixture directly on the screen a 50 watt standard household Halogen bulb will probably be plenty to get your proper basking temps.)

UVmountOne600x486_zps91a9ad00.jpg

UVmountTWO600x379_zps6f1449af.jpg

This pic shows the addition of some aluminum foil that intensifies the UV as well as better directs the light down on the Basking Spot.

UVmountThRee600x466_zpsfb7ebd8a.jpg

This is an inexpensive modification to your set-up that you can make which won't take but a few minutes to do and will make a world of difference for your dragon as well as saving you money in the long run:)

Triciag

Bearded Dragon Egg
Already looking into that fixture saw the tubes yesterday when we went up to get the thermomiter was going to go out over the weekend to price up for the fixtures, as I have said previously I do not trust any thing in the pet store that says all you will ever need in one box!!! Usually has the bear essentials but as we needed to get everything quickly it was a good enough option until pay day and at $159.00CAD a very good price, the basking bulb we got yesterday also has uv,anyway back to tempriture it is now reading 95.4 @ 2.46pm, so looking good :). Lizzy seems happy with the changes and is laying on her log, she is letting us ( that's me and George) get a little closer to her, she let me pick her up earlier, just so I could move her out of the way to re arrange her furniture, we are taking very tiny baby steps with the handling so she learns that she can trust us.

Mungi's Buddha

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
I had a feeling that she would probably enjoy the wood better than the rock:) You mentioned that the bulb you have for the basking light also has UV..what type of bulb is it that you got? If it is a Mercury Vapor light then it is really not safe to use in a 40 gallon breeder tank as MVB bulbs are meant to be used in larger enclosures. Better, safer and cheaper options of getting the proper heat and UV like what I have mention previously are the way to go. The Pet Stores will readily sell them to you but the fact is that most often they are not well versed on the products they sell nor on species specific requirements.
I am glad that she is not fussing about ya'll picking her up but I would still recommend that handling her until she gets acclimated and you get her set up correct should be kept to an absolute minimum.
Have a great rest of your weekend and just shout out should you have any more questions:)

Triciag

Bearded Dragon Egg
It was an All living thing basking buld with UVA from Petsmart! Will be getting her the strip light perhaps tomorrow! Even the day bulb that came with the set up said it was UVA??? As I said the only reason I picked her up was to move her out of the way for relocation of furniture, we have had a strictly no holing policy where she is concerned until I am happy that she has settled,every day she seems a little more relaxed in her new surroundings especially today, I am sure largely due to your very good advice.

Triciag

Bearded Dragon Egg
Whoo whoo!!!! I think we've cracked it, within an hour of the lights being switched on this morning we have a temp reading of 92.... Now just to make sure it dosen't go to high. At least now I know that if it's climbing too much I can adjust the hight of the light.

Triciag

Bearded Dragon Egg
Today was a very good day for our new Family member, she got her new light fixture and has been sun bathing on her log heat finally reach each 100 :). She pooped!!!! And she ate! She had some veggies, a cricket, and quite a few super worms ( about 5 I think)... Which of course Leeds me onto yet another question, how much should she be eating???

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
You need to get that Basking Temp closer to 110F in order for it to be able to digest it's food properly, without stress.

Triciag

Bearded Dragon Egg
By later in the afternoon it had reached 107.9. It was a hour or so after she had eaten and she was laying on her log. I am hoping that now the temps are much higher when we turn her lights out at night it will be warmer when we turn them back on in the morning, and heat up a little quicker for her during the day. ATM it is 4:30-5 pm that the readings are at the highest, I know not ideal yet but we are making progress.

Mungi's Buddha

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Very cool you got the temps better and the UV installed right:) If you are getting 107 for the basking spot and want 110 then you can raise the basking spot up a little. Maybe try an inch higher to start. Just make sure that the basking limb is secure however you do it:)
Enjoy!

Triciag

Bearded Dragon Egg
Just thought that I would give you all a little update, Lizzy is doing really well, she seems to have settled in very well now that we have her temps correct, she is eating well and pooping lots ( much to my 10 year old disgust ). Although we are still keeping the handling down to a minimum we take her out to get misted so as not to increase the humidity inside her home, she seems to enjoy it. Thanks again for all the advise over the past week you have really helped make our little Dragon happy!

Triciag

Bearded Dragon Egg
It has been a while since my last update so thought I would fill you in on what Lizzy has been up too. She has definatly settled in now she jumps to her feet when she sees me arrive with the cricket box and starts licking her lips she definatly prefers it when you feed her the crix with tweezers, she's really not into exerting any effort to catch them, so if you don't hold them with the tweezers she will sit and wait for them to crawl in front of her mouth, she really enjoys a soak in the tub. The kids spent a couple of hours at the weekend making her a background for her tank, they used different colourd paper to do a desert collage, not only did it make Lizzy's tank look good but it kept the kids quiet for a couple of hours so win win I would say. Will try and get a couple of pics of their handy work for you!

Latest posts