• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hello BDF

sideeffect512

Bearded Dragon Egg
Funny how I found this forum. I was looking for a setup for my new beardie on craigslist. This forum posted in the Austin, Texas CL. I'm glad I checked it out.
So I'll be honest. Im learning as I go. im a real noob. My name is Alan.
My beardie, which I have no clue if its a female or male. Is coming friday.

Here is a picture of the little rascal. Cant wait for the booger to arrive.
25arbqs.jpg

Ended up not getting the beardie above. At the time I wanted a female and he is a probable male. I ended up getting a Male hypo leather from Blood Bank Dragons. go figure

DSC08408.JPG

sideeffect512

Bearded Dragon Egg
NOT SURE IF IT MATTERS... BUT UMMMMM FATHER IS DEEP RED HET HYPO AND THE MOM IS A BESLY X GERMAN GIANT CROSS

Mungi's Buddha

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Welcome to the BDF Community! We are thrilled you have joined us!
Cute lil dragon you have coming,Alan and We want to help you and your new dragon have a long and happy adventure together
so here are a few links to get you started...

Basic BD Care Sheet - A Place To Start
Bearded Dragon --- Exclusive Care Info Library
Beautiful Dragons Nutrition Chart
Is Bearded Dragon Co-habitation a good plan?
How To Sex A Bearded Dragon

Once you have read through the info in these links where most of your questions will probably be answered, head on back here and ask any others you may have. We are all here to help in any way we can!
Enjoy!
Mungi's Buddha

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Doesn't matter really. A German Giant's needs are the same as a regular beardie. The only thing that might matter is the tank/enclosure size. Since German Giants are bigger, they require a bigger tank from what I've read from other websites.
I've got mine housed in a 55 gallon critter tank which has plenty of space for her size and enough room to run and roam if she wants to. (People who see Allie will tell me that she's bigger than their regular sized bearded dragon and they want to know what I've been feeding Allie.) I give her turnip greens, collard greens, or mustard greens twice a day. She eats greens first, then crickets an hour later. :)

Mungi's Buddha

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
There is absolutely nothing wrong with purchasing an adult tank for a baby dragon right off the bat...many people prefer to go ahead and purchase the 40 gallon breeder tank that is the minimum recommended for an adult bearded dragon to save money. As far as there being too many hides for feeders in a bigger tank that would only be the case if you put hides in the enclosure. For a baby beardie yes the 20 gallon long tank is minimum size recommended. Both the 40 gallon breeder and 20 gallon long offer enough space to achieve proper gradients that are needed.

sideeffect512

Bearded Dragon Egg
Im getting a 40 gallon critter tank? I believe is what I was told. with a few things like a log, green carpet and lights that have a couple months left. I have a fossiled buffalo head that I found at work that I wanna incorporate
into it. Im excited. cant wait.

Mungi's Buddha

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
We are excited for you as well! Main thing you want to remember when setting up your new dragons enclosure when they are babies in particularly is the K.I.S.S method...that stands for Keep It Simple Stupid and no Im not calling you stupid..lol
Your baby will require a basking spot with a temp of 11o degrees during the day and a cool side temperature between 80-85 degrees. You will need to get a couple of digital thermometers that have remote probes placing one with the probe directly at the basking spot and the other with the probe at the coolest part of the enclosure. These are the only thermometers recommended to get your temperature correct. You can find them at many places. I know that PetSmart sells them for 9 dollars each located in the Aquarium Section. You can find basically the same thermometer in the Reptile Section but it will cost you around 15 dollars.
He will also require a food dish for his "salad" but no water dishes. He will get moisture from the crickets and salad he eats as well as from the baths and misting you will give him.
The repticarpet works fine and the log will work for a basking spot as long as it reaches 110 degrees.
You may want to put a small hide of some sort on the cool side of his enclosure.
As to the used lights you are getting with your setup to be honest I would be leery of them and would replace them because there really isnt anyway to be sure how much more time they have on them.This is especially true for the UV light. That is one thing you do not want to gamble on. I would recommend you using a tube type 10.0 florescent either ReptiGlo or ReptiSun...The ReptiGlo is about half the price of ReptiSun. They are availble at pet stores. A used UV light will mean you having to guess whether it is putting out enough UV.
You can buy an under counter mount florescent fixture at places like Home Depot or Lowes which are much cheaper than the petstore ones. Just make sure that they are T8 fixtures and if they have a plastic shield covering the light make sure to remove it or you will render you UV bulb ineffective.
You can also save money on basking lights by using either clear,bright white incandescent bulbs or household halogen floodlights.
Whichever you choose has to be of sufficent wattage to get the 110 degree basking temp at your basking spot but not hotter.
You will need to position the UV light and Basking light so that both of them are shining on the basking spot because this is where your beardie will spend the majority of his time and the UV light need to positioned so that the center of the bulb is over the basking light..UV bulbs emit the majority of their UV from the center of the bulb and very little on the ends.
At night time its best not to use any lighting at all so if your setup comes with one of the Black,Blue or Red night lights do use it.
At night dragons need to cool off to get a good nights sleep so unless your temps drop below 65 degrees you dont need a heat bulb at nite.
As far as the as the Buffalo Skull I think that's cool but it will provide a lot of hides for the crickets you feed making it hard for your baby to find them. I would probably wait to incorporate it until he gets older.
All of this info and much much more is in the links I gave you...be sure to read them because I have really only touched a few basics here;-)
Enjoy the rest of your night and the day tomorrow...it will be a goodie!!

sideeffect512

Bearded Dragon Egg
Figured I would come back for an update. I ended up not getting the beardie I originally paid for. I waited a couple weeks and Went with a male hypo leather from Blood Bank. I get him Tuesday. I think Im going to name him Biz Markie
DSC08408.JPG

Latest posts