• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Heat Rocks

Lou Lou15

Hatchling Dragon
Anyone have one or any thoughts on them? I've heard good and bad things about them. But I just don't know how they could be bad if I can be in control of how high the temperature can get..?
Anyone whose had an experience with them, shoot! Pros n cons go! Lol. Thanks! [emoji4]

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Heat rocks are not good. Reptiles don't sense heat on their belly like we would so they could sit on a heat rock all day and get burned because they don't feel the heat.

Lou Lou15

Hatchling Dragon
Okay I also read to have an extra heat source just in case like an undercage one too. Are those also not good then since its come from underneath? Or how do those work then?

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Anything that is going to heat the belly is not a good idea. To heat the tank you want to have a basking spot light during the day and if your temperatures get below 65 degrees at night then a ceramic heat emitter (CHE) is recommended.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
How cold does your house get and how cold does the tank get now at night? I would think a lower wattage would be sufficient. Remember you want a drop in temp at night, It shouldn't be as hot at night as it is during the day. They need to have a cool down period.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
So then go with a lower wattage bulb, you only need the tank to be above 65-70 degrees

Latest posts