• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Heat requirement

MetalicPheonix

Juvenile Dragon
So I'm getting a baby dragon on Christmas probably and what or how mush do they need eat like how strong does a heat lamp need to have for a baby dragon and do I only need a uvb light or more

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
You need a UVB light, a basking bulb and possibly a CHE for night time heat. The UVB and basking bulb should be on for 12 hours on 12 hours off or 14/10 is fine too. The CHE should be used only if the temp of the tank goes below 65 degrees. A CHE gives off heat with no light. Any color of light at night is going to disrupt their sleep cycle.

A baby beardie needs a basking spot of 110-115 degrees to help properly digest it's food. The cool side of the tank should be 75-80 degrees. You should have two digital probe thermometers one on the basking spot and one on the cool side so you can monitor the temps. You can also use a temp gun but you want to know the temperature right at the spot your beardie is going to sit.

Babies should be fed at least 2 times a day, 3 is better. You want to feed them as much as they can eat in a 15 minute time frame. When mine were babies they would eat 20-25 small crickets a meal. I learned to buy crickets in bulk by the thousands, it saves money and gives you the chance to properly gut load your crickets. You also want to offer a salad daily here is a link for food ideas. http://greathousefarm.com/Greathouse-Reptile-Nutrition-List.pdf

Latest posts