• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Heat and glass surfing

Pawlathon

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Hi there. My beardie is just a juvie got him from pets at home on saturday as he was rather energetic i decided he was the one for me. I have i believe a 3 or 4 foot viv. Mixed signals with the staff and am at work but plan on measuring it. He has been doing a lot of glass surfing and trying to climb up the back of his tank. Its a wooden one with glass panels at front. There are two shelves on it one under the basking light another up high near the 2% bulb. On the floor which he rarely goes to the temp is usually 30c and other side on bottom tends to sit at 35 37c. But i wondered how hot it was nearer to light so put therm under basking and it got to 40c it may have gone higher but felt was too hot. The viv has a recess for light to go into. Im unsure whether i should get a lower watt bulb or a thermostat to control the temp. The bulb came with beardie pack at 100w but just worried about the little guy and wanted to see if anyone could help me out.

Thank you.

Pawlathon

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
uploadfromtaptalk1410950828205.jpg

jarich

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Just sounds like he is getting used to the new home. Those temperatures are fine, though the cool end is a bit high. Did you get a double fixture UVB light? If not, that 2% bulb is going to need to be replaced right away. You'll want to get a much higher output bulb instead and make sure its within 6-8 inches of the dragons back. If you take a picture of the entire viv, we can give you any other pointers you may need

Pawlathon

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
uploadfromtaptalk1411162384271.jpg
thats full viv. I have a 2% bulb at the back and a 10% at front. I tried pinning the light up a little bit but its still reaching 30 31 at cool end with about 41 at basking area. Should u get green reptile carpet for shelves or just leave them as laminate shelves as the sand carpet is not overly good as you can see with it lifting up a bit

jarich

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Nice looking enclosure! I like the branch especially. Great to hear that you have the 10% at the front also, but I would switch them if I were you. Given the height of the enclosure, the 10% at the front wont be doing much good. As for the basking lamp, go out and buy a 75 watt PAR 38 halogen flood light from B&Q or some hardware store. Should only cost you a few quid. That will bring the temperatures down enough to get you where you want to be.

Pawlathon

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Haha thank you :D ahh okay i had wondered since the 2% one seems to be making a bunch of heat for him. Ill have a look for one tomorrow then and hopefully itll all be good :) thank you very much for help ill keep people informed of his growings too.

Latest posts